1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats the best way to label media files ?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Shilo2010, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shilo2010

Shilo2010 Thread Starter

Wow great site. Thanks for being here.
    I'm sooooo sick of re allocating information to my Media player every time I reformat my PC ( which is pretty often). I have to go through every time and and re enter Genre, ratings, album name ect. The only information that imports accurately (mostly) is artist and song title.
    Can I label my media files so they will import into Media Player with Artist, song title, Genre, album name and ratings all intact ?

God, I can't be the only one who feels like pulling their hair out over this issue.

Cheers!

2. Shilo2010

Shilo2010 Thread Starter

P.S - Hate Media player 11 !
    Think I might un install and go back to ten.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't think you can uninstall MP11. ;)

4. stantley

stantley

That's kind of strange because once you update the tags, the data is written to the mp3 file itself and even if you wipe out the WMP database the tags should still be intact. Are you using another format other than mp3?

I'm also not a big fan of WMP, why don't you try Media Monkey (freeware). It's an all-in-one music database/tag editor.

5. Shilo2010

Shilo2010 Thread Starter

Hi.
    Thanks John and Stantly.

John WMP is listed in my add remove programs file and downloads exist on the net so my presumption was that I could remove and re install. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something ? Will await a reply before I try.

Stantly. No, my files are mostly MP3 with a smattering of WMA. I just double checked after your reply and your right about changes to artist, song title and Genre, however rating does not seem to import like the others. I must apologies for wasting your time to an extent, I was primarily concerned about Genre and as it turns out, your right. Changes I made recently, before re formatting have in fact come across into WMP without a problem. Thank you for pointing that out to me.
    I am just this minute about to take your link to Media Monkey and will let you know what I think.
    Thanks mate.

6. stantley

stantley

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Note all the "Known issues" when uninstalling. :) Microsoft really doesn't want you to go back.

8. Shilo2010

Shilo2010 Thread Starter

Lol John, noted.

I'm sorry Stantly, I'm not right into Media Monkey mostly because the freeware version is not full. Also, I guess I'm comfortable with Media player 10. Everyone is always so ant Microsoft. Media Player, Windows, IE and almost anything built by Microsoft. To tell the truth, Im just not handy enough for the technical issues to make much difference to me and they are user friendly. As far as security goes, I keep everything updated and run current versions of PC-Cillin and AVG side by side as well as the new (and finally re released) Spyware blaster. Besides these I use Adaware and various other software such as System mechanic, Windows Washer full and PC on point. My system always runs well and I have never had any serious security issues other than blaster worm that (BTW) can be picked courtesy of windows update pretty well every time if you re format and connect for updates prior to installing a fire wall.

Anyway, cool.
    Cheers.
    See ya.

9. stantley

stantley

10. Shilo2010

Shilo2010 Thread Starter

Wow that's a surprisingly long *** list Stantly. I Got a few giggles out of some of the lame names starting with spyware. Spyware knight, Spyware Killa and my favourite Spyware NO! Maybe these guys are all failed publicists ?

11. Moby

Moby

I believe the ratings info displayed in WMP is stored in the library and not added to the actual file's tag. Either way, to keep your ratings/library as it was after reformat, just back up the library file and copy it back after re-installation, replacing the existing 'empty' library file.
    It lives here :-
    "C:\Documents and Settings\*your user name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb"
    If there is more than 1 database file, backup both.
    The Local Settings folder may be hidden. I can't remember if I made mine hidden for de-clutter purposes or it's that way by default.

12. Shilo2010

Shilo2010 Thread Starter

Oh man, that's what I needed !
    Thanks Moby, thats a real help.

You da man !

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice