1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the best way to network a printer?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mulderator, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Right now I have my printers (two) hooked up to my main server computer, which is usually on. However, if that computer is off, then the printer is obviously not available. I want to set it up so that the printers are always available to any computer on the network as long as the printers are on.

Right now I have a Linksys Router BEFSX41 because I need the VPN tunnel capabilities. I also have a separate Linksys wireless router, WRT55AG that is hooked into the BEFSX41 so there are ports available on that.

Do I need to buy another router that supports a printer? Whats the best way to do that?

2. Topato

Topato

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Mulder what kind of printer?

If its an all in one keep it direct connected as going networked you lose all the all in one functionality except printing. If its JUST a printer you want to buy an ethernet print server (or you can replace your whole getup with something like the one suggested above). There are a TON of them out there and the big determining factors are interfaces and models.

E.G. is your printer a USB or Parallel port printer? What is the make/model of the printer?

Some printers DON'T support network printing and require a bidirectional direct connection to the PC.

Most HP's are pretty safe taking off the PC and dumping onto any old print server.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The best way is to buy a network capable printer. :)

5. Mulderator

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

It looks like any print server should work with it you just want to make sure its a USB print server. I tend to perfer jetdirects as those I know support direct TCP/IP printing and don't require any extra software installed on any PC that supports TCP/IP printing. They tend to be pricey though.

7. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

8. Mulderator

You got a link to one.

What about these newegg onese:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=2010330387&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&Subcategory=387

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

from newegg you want any of these really -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5110068+1135310100&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=387

All are RJ-45 to USB 2.0 and theres 7 of them. I should think any will work. If I had to pick from those I would probably go IOGEAR or USR but note on the USR you have to load something on each client big negative in my book). IOGEAR has no reviews for me to know off hand if this is required.

Here is an good HP jetdirect thats USB -

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...e_type=product_detail&product_code=J6035G#ABA

you can probably find it cheaper at a non HP site.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!