1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's The Best Way To Organize in XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BML, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

I have but one hard drive. 14.65gb. I have lots and lots of software/utilities, plus the MP3 collection has swelled to over 400 songs.

What I am used to is installing all of my applications under c:\program files\_____ and keeping all my docs/pics under c:\my docs, with a seperate folder for Music.

Do you recommend partitioning the HD - like maybe one just for program files? Or maybe since the music is a huge chunk maybe a partition just for music? Or putting everything else on another partition and leaving only windows & system & operating files on c:?

Does it slow the system down any if I start my music jukebox program from C: and the actual MP3 files are located on D:?

Do multiple partitions slow down XP?

What other methods of organization have worked for some of you?

I'm just thinking of a better way to organize my files. I thought maybe it would be good to leave only windows & sys files seperate in case I had to re-install the OS.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Good thinking. Partition actually can speed up XP. I partition my large drives into three partitions, OS, DATA, Backup/Music. I create my OS parition 4GB in size for Windows and application, which is generally enough space needed and it makes drive imaging (Ghost or DriveImage) work well. I also move my Windows cache and Internet cache folder to the Backup/Music partition. This also help makes the management of the OS partition better and faster.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!