1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the best way to remove video card drivers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wet Chicken, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

Hi, we're going to be installing a new video card. We went into the control panel and deleted the drivers but when we rebooted they were still working :(

What is the best way to remove them :confused:

2. ajdupont

ajdupont

Hi, The way I do it in XP is right click on my computer. Select properties, then select hardware, and then device manager. Under Display Adapters, click the + sign. Your video card should be listed there. Double click your adapter and then select the driver tab. There is a selection here to uninstall the driver.
    Hope this helps.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ah, once you reboot something has to be put back otherwise you wouldn't have video. When you remove them, shutdown. Take the old card out. Then put the new card in and restart.

4. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

I always do it the old fashion way :
    change the display driver to "Standard VGA" ,
    uninstall the old drivers ,
    install the new drivers ,
    between reboot replace the VGA card ,
    and if not picked up correctly install the new drivers again.

If you don't change to standard VGA & try to uninstall the drivers , some driver files could be locked by the OS (operating system) & don't get deleted/changed properly.

5. ajdupont

ajdupont

You caught me. :eek: I forgot to mention that part. Of course had I been doing it myself I would have remembered. I think. :D

6. Wet Chicken

OK well I tried all of those methods and sadly none of them worked :(

Here is what I've done so far...

Running Win ME. Original video card= Matrox. New video card= ATI.

Went to device mgr and deleted the old card. Received a message that "all" of the old drivers could not be removed. Tried to install the new drivers but it said to install the windows generic drivers first, so I did.

Rebooted.

Tried to install the new drivers but it gave me this warning;

[​IMG]

I'm thinking that the new drivers still see the matrox card installed, even though the Windows generic drivers are installed, so I went into the registry and removed everything "Matrox" related. Tried to install the ATI drivers again. Recieved the same error message shown above. The new video card is a ATI Xpert 2000 Pro and according to their web site it has a RAGE 128 PRO graphics engine, so those are the drivers that I downloaded. I'm stuck here now with a 640 x 480 resolution and in 16 colors... and it ain't pretty :eek:

What else can I do to install these drivers, or troubleshoot this :confused:

Thanks.

7. ~Candy~

Didn't a driver disk come with the card? And a setup.exe that you should be able to run thru?

8. Wet Chicken

No CD came with the card (it's a used video card) so I downloaded the latest drivers from the ATI web site.

The drivers that I downloaded has a setup.exe, which is what I am using. It starts off running fine, displays the ATI logo, and says "installing video driver" but then that pesky error message pops up :(

Either their web site is wrong and these aren't the right drivers, or Windows can't see the new ATI card. I'm 'guessing' it's the second of the two :(

9. ~Candy~

I had a tough time with an ATI card too. Try this.

Without the ATI card in the machine, boot up with the other card, be sure everything is normal.

Install the ATI stuff, and I believe it will leave an adapter in the device manager with an exclamation mark.

Then shutdown, take out the old card and put the ATI card in and restart.

10. Wet Chicken

OK thanks, I'll give that a try as soon as I get home in a few hours. Hope it works ;)

11. Wet Chicken

The video card gods must be angry because when I tried that this is what it said;

[​IMG]

12. ~Candy~

And if you run setup again?

13. Wet Chicken

That's when I received that error message, was when I tried to run setup again (with the Matrox card installed).

14. ~Candy~

Ok, try this.

Change the settings to 16 colors (not 16 bit), it'll give you some stupid message, save changes and reboot. Does it restart with 16 colors and look horrible?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link to driver cleaner. It works with both ati and nvidia. The way you use it is to remove the driver from add / remove programs; do not reboot when asked to. Run driver cleaner and let it delete all things the uninstall missed. Now reboot and install your driver. If you have xp, disconnect from the net. This is so windows update does not connect and load a windows driver.

Note the newer versions of ati reference drivers require sp1 for xp or sp4 for win2k along with DirectX9.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice