1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the cheepest high level gaming pc with about a $1600 budget?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B-Subs-Me, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Hey, I was looking into making/buying a new pc that can run all the new stuff pretty well, and something that will last me the next 3 years for gaming, then through college for around $1600. Is it cheaper to build my own computer, or buy one from a manufacturer? I've been doing a lot of shopping but there’s so many acronyms and different stuff and it drives me crazy!:eek: I don't have any experience building computers, but I've heard it isn’t that hard, I've been attempting to educate myself about it.

If, which i probably will, I build my own computer, what's the best place to shop for parts? I've been looking at Newegg.com; I'm wondering if there's somewhere better.

Please post your advice, rig setups etc, and thanks for your help, i appreciate it! :)

2. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Oh, by the way, I already have a mouse, keyboard, 5.1 spreakers (w/ subwoofer), and an LCD monitor, which should help the budget.

-Thanks!

3. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

yeh if your looking for the best gaming pc with a $1600 budget...ur loooking at intel core 2 duo e6850 (best cpu for gaming without going extreme), 4gbs corsair ram, nvidia 8800gts (or gtx depending on ur budget), striker extreme mobo...antec 900 gaming case, corsair 620 watt psu..150gb raptor 10krpm x hdd and 500gb wd caviar hdd

4. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

you just need to fill in the gaps with generic parts, ie, dvd rom drive

5. Cildaten

Cildaten

1600$ is more than enough lol.
    Im currently making mine with a 700$ budget. Just waiting for them to arrive.

6. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

yeh for $1600 youl not have to upgrade again for a while...

7. hudey123

hudey123

I have been working on a system with a budget around $1000. This is what I've put together so far from NewEgg.com (GIF attached). I haven't added the video card yet, but I'm definitely looking at the 8800 since the motherboard is SLI-enabled.

I love NewEgg... I won't build a computer with parts from anyone else. ZipZoomFly.com is pretty good too, but they have some weird shipping rules that have delayed my orders for a few days, and when I spend $1000 for the parts to put together a new computer I want them to arrive yesterday! :)

If I had your budget I'd definitely upgrade to a 150Gb Raptor for housing Windows Vista and my games, and I'd pick up a little bit better RAM, but most of all I'd put a lot of money into the graphics card. That's where you'll get the most bang for your buck with a gaming system...

OH... and make sure you get a really good Power Supply... When you spend this much money on a build, a good power supply will protect your parts from surges and power losses that might damage components or cause hard drive errors if you have a cheaper power supply.

Attached Files:

8. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Ok, I'll cut the budget down to $1200 tops.

Now, I'll need some help with some parts. I'm not farmiliar with some things such as Power Supplys, Motherboards, Disc Drives, and how to cool the system(My Nvidia 6800 base card has fried before.)I'll post a rig setup soon that will probably need to be edited by you smarter people.

Thanks for the help so far.

9. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

For power supplies, with your budget, get at least a 600 watt PSU, and go by customer reviews. PSUs are notorious for going bad- use customer reviews to weed out the bad ones.

Optical drives are the same way. Customer reviews are your friend.

For cooling, I'm not going into CPU cooling because I don't know your definite specs, but be sure to get a case fan, and maybe even a PCI cooling fan, ESPECIALLY if you plan on overclocking. The more airflow, the better.

Now, for operating systems, if you plan on gaming, try to dual-boot Windows XP Pro x64 and Vista Ultimate x64. Games will run faster on XP Pro, but if you want Direct-X 10/OpenGL 3.0, you will need Vista.

10. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

an 8800 GT would be good for budget.

11. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Ok here we go, once again I'm trying to keep my budget to $1200 or so:

Graphics Card
    EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    $294.99

This is one of the best ones i could find, pricewise. I don't know much about radeons so I kinda stayed away from them. Post if you find a better one.

RAM
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
    $54.99

2GB should be enough, right?

Hard Drive
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    $62.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
    $279.99

Sound Card
    I've got a SB X-FI [CCEO] in this computer I can take out of this and put it into that.

Power Supply
    Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply - Retail
    $59.99

I'd like something cheeper.

Cd Drives
    I have a DVD reader and a CD RW drive in this computer. Can i use those?

Cases
    Help me out with cases.

Cooling
    Help me out with cooling.

Motherboard
    Help me out with a motherboard.

The total is $752.95 SO FAR

So, that took me about...well a long time. What do you think?
    Thanks everyone!

12. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

I don't know how to do that.

And also, how does having 2 graphics cards work?

13. jlabit

jlabit

That is the one component in your system that can take everything else out if it quits. I have the model listed below and it is the most impressive power supply I have ever used and I have built a lot of computers. It is also on sale. I paid $149 for the last one I bought several months ago. I highly recommend it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

Good choice on the Intel Q6600. I have one running on my own personal computer overclocked to 3.0 ghz. For any quad core CPU, you will need good cooling. I recommend the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme which is listed below. That is probably the best CPU air cooling solution available right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109140

I am using a Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard with my Intel quad core CPU. It works great and is futureproof for the faster Penryn 45 mil Cpu's coming in the future. I am currently running a front side bus of 1360, but she will do faster. (340 x 4) It can be found here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050

Good luck with your build.

14. MathBluster

MathBluster

My advice would be to NOT get a Rosewill power supply-- go with a Corsair or an OCZ or PC Power and Cooling for a little bit more, it's the part most likely to fail, so get a good one so it doesn't.

Good RAM, good CPU, BAD video card-- get an 8800 GT. It's the same price, but much, much better than the GTS. Look around at reviews on tech sites, you'll see what I mean. EVGA has good support, and if you want to upgrade within 90 days (for the new GTS's that are supposed to be out soon), you pay only the difference in price with their Step-Up program.

Cooler Master makes good cases. I just bought a Centurion 5 for fifty bucks on Newegg. It's their most popular, and it's wicked solid and good-looking. For a little more, the Cooler Master RC-690 is newer and arguable better looking with more space to shove fans into, but some possible design flaws. Check Newegg reviews. If you want to spend more than $60, consider an Antec 900 gamer case (great cooling) or a Lian-Li PC-60 Plus II, which is all-aluminum and brilliantly made.

EDIT: for CPU cooling, go with that one jlabit linked. Damn, that looks cool. Or, if you don't think it'll fit in your case or don't want to spend as much or whatever, an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 or any Zalman. Good stuff.

For a motherboard, the Gigabyte P35-DS3R (or DS3L, if you don't need the extra 2 SATA ports and want to save $30) is good. It's compatible with all your stuff. It only has one old-style PATA port, so your two CD drives would take that up and your hard drive would have to be SATA.

15. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Ok, all i can find are GTS and GTX cards. I'm assuming by GT you meant GTX?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!