1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the craziest Tech Support problem you've had to deal with.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Kapustin Yar, Dec 28, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

What's the crazies, funniest or most bizarre tech support problem you've had to deal with?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

My Mom's Toshiba laptop was still under warranty when the fan started to make an unpleasant sound, but still worked well enough to cool the CPU.
    It was easy to access and remove. As I remember, one screw to open access and two screws to remove the fan.
    But Toshiba has a warranty that doesn't allow customer repairs like this under warranty and the laptop would have been shipped to an authorized repair center in California......a turn around time of 3 to 4 weeks.
    In searching out the problem to see if it was common, I found a lot of unhappy customers that had additional problems after authorized work that weren't related to the original problems.
    So.....I didn't want to go that route if I could fix it myself.
    I placed a telephone call to customer service to ask for an exception.
    I've replaced easy to get at parts under a Gateway warranty with out any issues, so replacing the Toshiba fan myself seemed reasonable to me.
    The service rep said no and it wasn't open to discussion. The warranty would not be honored unless I sent the laptop to the authorized repair center.
    So I asked to speak to his supervisor.
    A woman came on that identified herself as a supervisor for Toshiba Customer Service and explained that if I opened up the case of the computer I might infect the computer with a virus. :D

I bought the $20 fan and fixed it myself. Turn around time......less than 5 minutes to repair and that included opening the shipping box and confirming it was the correct part.

4. Kapustin Yar

That's funny Stoner. I have a Toshiba desktop and I know from personal experience they are NOT meant to be opened.

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Some are, some apparently aren't.
    The fan on her model A15 S127 could be easily accessed.

The fan on my A25 S307 looks easy, but I've never had reason to remove it.

6. jvic

jvic

First Name:
    John
    A friend bought a new pc.When he hooked it up he called me to say it wouldn't turn on.Drove to his house and plugged it in.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

A computer illiterate family member called and said she couldn't logon because the computer kept asking for a password, only she doesn't have one. I thought one of my kids passworded her account to be funny. So I gave her instructions to logon to the administrator account. It took about five or six tries to type administrator and the password properly. Once logged on she complained the background isn't hers and all of her icons are missing, so I'll need to fix that too. After reassuring her it is what the administrator account desktop looks like and not to worry about it, we proceeded to remove the password and then logon to her account. Somehow tech support by phone is stressful when a family member is involved.

8. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Probably the funniest one was when my first mouse bit the dust after 4+ years. Here is the link to it.
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/392892-when-replace-mouse.html
    I am always amazed at how dramatic things like this used to be to me. My mindset then was that I really thought a mouse should last forever, and if not I was doing something way wrong. Of course this one is not as bad as when I first started coming around and did not know about cleaning the cache/cookies (it is amazing how long that took after not doing it for a year), or that a firewall was important and no, you can't have two at a time...they detect each other as a threat (no kidding...I honestly thought I was telling you all important stuff you might not know after running two of them and crashing my own system). So most of my experienced weirdness has been my own uninformed self stuff.

9. Kapustin Yar

I know what you mean. When I started with computers I had two antiviruses. McAfee and Dr. Solomon's. Dr. Solomon's used to be updated every Month! I prefered Dr. Solomon's because it didn't have to be updated every day like McAfee so i got rid of it!

Gheezes, that's been awhile hasn't it? Dr. Solomon's isn't around anymore.

10. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    I'm sure you've all heard the joke about the tech support person speaking on the phone with a customer telling them to "right click" on something? Well, that actually happened to me while speaking with my brother on the phone.
    I asked him to right click on the desktop and tell me what choices he saw in the drop down menu. There was an extremely long song silence when he finally said, "I'm not sure where to type that." I told him I didn't ask him to type anything and I had no idea what he was talking about. He said in an agitated voice, "You just told me to write click on the desk top but I don't know where to write it." Well I started laughing when I finally realized... you know, he never thought it was funny. :rolleyes: :D

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    An acquaintance of my Wife called me .. No sound from her Computer .. Would I stop by and fix it.
    I walked into a place that looked like on of those Hoarder Shows you see on TV.
    I poked around on the computer and everything looked OK.

I took me about 15 minutes to get to the back of her computer.
    I asked .. "Where are your Speakers" ??
    She said .. "What are Speakers" ??

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!