1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the deal with 56k modems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beta19, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    I heard somewhere that even though it is called a "56kb/s", it can't legally go that fast of speed. What is with that? I always connect with a speed between 44-50kb/s. I don't remember where I heard that from, but it puzzles me. Could someone help me understand?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, they are limited to 53.3. Not sure why that decision was made, but quite possibly it is due to too many errors at speeds any higher since line quality varies so much from one place to another. The difference is minimal and most people never get that high, anyway. The best I ever got on dialup, after replacing wires and cleaning all the connections in the house to the pole to copper, was 44 kbps for a download speed, and most things will be considerably slower than that. So I'm quite happy now with my 2500.

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

3. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    Thanks for clearing that up.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

It was an FCC regulation. 56K was allowed only on burst and 44 allowed for sustained. I don't know what their logic was. Of course, line conditions prevented max rates in about 90% of cases. (Not everyone lives within 6 blocks of a switching station.)

5. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    Thanks, guys. When you said FCC, that wrapped it up. Should have known that the FCC had something to do with it. Does that also apply in the uk, or do most of them use broadband? Just curious.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Sorry, I have no idea about the UK.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Of course the FCC has nothing to do with the UK, but international agreements usually make that sort of thing pretty uniform. An internet would be impossible if every country did things their own way. :D

8. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

As far as UK goes, "most of them" dont use boradband. In term sof percentages, there are a lot of users on bband, but its about 30 odd % of the available. Dial up is dying fast, but a lot of areas still dont support bb, so dial up is often the only reasonable option. With USB modems, there is still the prob of reception, so while these are popular for lappies, the user basis isnt really increasing.
    As for FCC, we want nothing to do with them, ha! Not for the obvious reasons, but because we have diffeent operating frequencies, different standards ( in terms of what is/ is not allowed, as oppposed to hoe much we care) and diffeent volatge supplies, which mean that our entire system is different. I have known people get FCC certified bits ( which is just about everything these days) that either interfered with, or causes interference,to such a degree it is unusable. :)

9. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Adam
    Thanks for the info. I wish I could have nothing to do with the FCC:cool::rolleyes:, I hope they're not monitoring this :eek:, if so, then I don't mean it.:D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice