Whats the deal with this piece

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Aodmystic

Ok so I just reformatted and now im getting popups that say my registry is becoming corrupted and when my computer runs for like 5 min it locks up and freezes cause me to restart the system.......

Rukee

Banned
why did you reformat?? was it cause of a virus??
I have seen some viruses make it through a reformat only to reinfect the rig even before you get it back on the net.
What have you loaded onto the drive?? Windows of course, what drivers and apps so far??

Aodmystic

I have graphics driver and thats it because every time I try to DL any other drivers it locks up.

Rukee

Banned
the second thing you should load should be the platform or chipset drivers, then DirectX9.0c, sound and LAN drivers, then the video card drivers. If you don`t have the chipset(motherboard) drivers installed that could give you some trouble.
Did the Windows install go good?? No lockups or restarts out of the blue when installing??

Rukee said:
I have seen some viruses make it through a reformat only to reinfect the rig even before you get it back on the net.
Rukee is EXACTLY CORRECT. With some of todays self replicating "parasites" If you don't completely "wipe" the drive prior to Windows reinstallation they can pop right back up since formatting with the Installation Disk of Fdisk does not overwrite ALL the data on the HDD.

I would SUGGEST that you do a "zero fill" (low level format) on your HDD, let Windows format the drive, reinstall Windows then load the drivers in the sequence Rukee provided.

Be sure to install your antivirus and disable Windows Messenger before you go online and download any Windows updates.

I believe this will solve your problems. :)

I have to disagree with the statement made in the link bigbear provided, eg.
"Therefore, low level format is always of LAST RESORT when you encounter HDD problems".

Here is what WESTERN DIGITAL HAS TO SAY ABOUT A LOW LEVEL FORMAT;

Question
How can I low level format or erase a Western Digital hard drive?

Answer
Western Digital provides software utilities that can erase all the data on a hard drive. Writing zeros to a drive is recommended any time an operating system is to be reinstalled on a boot drive or whenever a blank drive is desired.

The actual statement can be viewed at;

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9emVybyBmaWxs&p_li=&p_topview=1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online