What's the Difference between a single or dual processor system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

captainpat

What is the difference between a single or dual processor system, is opne of them better for the average gamer. i m planning on building a system. What type would be the best?

Your question answer itself, one has one cpu the other has two, but anyway a dual CPU system would probably not do anything for a gamer, its advantages lie in server and workstation situations.

Cheers

couple of things regarding dual processor systems.

1) your operating system must be able to recognize it. (linux, windows xp professional (NOT XP home or Windows 98), Win2k, etc

2) for optimum performance, your application must be optimized for dual processors....most games aren't.

Originally posted by rmay635703:
Your question answer itself, one has one cpu the other has two, but anyway a dual CPU system would probably not do anything for a gamer, its advantages lie in server and workstation situations.

Cheers
Yeah, a Dual can run more programs and is more stable. Good for the server-side machines. But if you're just running games, it wouldn't affect gameplay much.

(Pls, correct me if I'm wrong)
A Pentium3 800 Mghz single runs at the same speed as a Dual Pentium3 800 Mghz system. Only the Dual system can do the work of two systems (@ the same speed).

Some programs can use the dual processor to really fly. But not many (if any) games. The programs have to be designed to take advantage of the dual processor and they are usually processor intensive programs like Photoshop and AutoCad.

There is also an advantage for people who run lots of stuff at once.

For your purposes I would put the money into a fast processor and dual DDR400.

Most Games will benefit from an increase in RAM, also on Video Card more than a dual Processor.
RichardHTML

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts