Whats the difference between C, C# and C++

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ste2223

Hi, I was searching Amazon for a book on C programming the one I was looking for is the SAMS Teach yourself but I got 3 different types. Theres C, C# and C++. Now im unsure as to which one to get.

Could someone explain whats the difference between these 3 languages and maybe recomend any books that might help me learn the language? Thanks!

I haven't really used C# so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But, from my understanding C# is basically Microsoft's creation to help push their .Net platform. From what I have read is a mix between C++ and Java.

C++ is the second generation of C. There are minor differences in syntax that are easy to accommodate. C++ is more powerful than C and easier to manage. The major difference between them is that C++ is object oriented.

From that, I would recommend start by learning C. A great book is C: The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-1274149-3823217?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 ). It gives a great foundation for any type of programming you go into. Also, at the end has a section on the basics of C++.

ste2223

Thanks. Just a couple of questions you may be able to answer.

C++ is more powerful than C and easier to manage.
Does this mean C++ is easier to learn?

C++ is object oriented.
Im unsure what object oriented means.

I wouldn't say it is easier to learn, but you can create reusable objects that makes it easier once you learn. It is a very powerful language and will take a while to master.

C++ is a superset of C. Its main difference is that it facilitates objects, inheritance, and overloading, and therefore, object-oriented programming, in a transparent manner. You can do about anything you want in either language, but each has its advantages and disadvantages (I'll take stdio over streams any day...).

I would start with C, learn all there is as far as the standards. Make sure you understand things like linked lists, structures, functions, recursion, itteration, etc... (also get a hang of the boolean operators, and how to manipulate bits and bytes (very important))
I would also learn about the history of C, and C++, and its implications like UNIX, and such. Also take the time to learn about how UNIX works, what a kernel is, and what microkernels are. Also if you have the time, look at how a compiler and linker works, parsing information, and assembly language (hardware specific). Learn about how drivers work, and the differing layers / hardware abstraction.
After that I would dive in to c++, and learn about how classes work, polymorphism, virtual abstract base classes, etc...

For books, usually colleges have good textbooks, (usually) I would also google for Dennis Ritchie, and Ken Thompson

History is a great way to see the way things have unfolded, the way different mechanisms in programming have come about.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online