1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats the difference between Duo and Dual processors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akaeon182, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akaeon182

akaeon182 Thread Starter

OK I am not completely computer illiterate, and generally I would just make the assumption that they are the same thing but Intel makes stuff that says both.

thanks a bunch

2. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Dual processors means that you have two physical processors on your motherboard. Intel's Core 2 Duo line of processors are processors that have two cores, so it acts very much like having two physical processors. The same is true for AMD's line of Athlon 64 X2 processors- two cores.

In short, a dual core processor is like having two normal processors in one.

The advantage of having two processors or two cores is that you can do two calculations at once. With only one processor/core, you can do only one calculation at a time. This is why dual core processors are so great at multitasking and gaming.

3. akaeon182

akaeon182 Thread Starter

thanks for the speedy response but...

Is one better than the other? The sticker on my computer says "Intel Centrino Duo" but when I go to Hardware Device Manager it lists two under Processors:

Processors
    |_Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83Ghz
    |_Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83Ghz

so that leads me to believe I have two processors. Also what does T2400 reference?

thanks

also if you don't mind your thoughts on SP3 as i see your running SP2

4. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

It lists it like that because Windows recognizes each core as a processor. Remember, XP was written long before dual-core processors came out. You have one dual-core processor.

SP3, I don't think, has been officially released yet.

EDIT: If there is a performance difference between having two processors versus one dual-core processor, it is minimal enough to not really be detectable, except if you were really trying to find it.

5. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

At the user level there is no advantage with Dual Processor vs. Dual Core. Dual core gets the job done, and gives the end-user more flexibility with two cores. The T2400 is the processor model more or less.

Dual processor is more for higher end applications such as servers, developers, etc. You can have boards with two physical processors each with two cores giving you a total of four processing cores.

Kind of confusing, but Dual Core/Centrino Duo is the same thing.

And SP3 isn't a general release quite yet, should be within 2 months.

6. akaeon182

akaeon182 Thread Starter

yeah i know its not officially out they just release the candidate release but any opinions on it so far?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/673322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice