1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the difference between intel and amd processors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by georgeoshardo, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. georgeoshardo

georgeoshardo Thread Starter

Just wondering...

2. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
  3. Grave_Digger

Grave_Digger

not much really at least in the begin, till intel got pissed that amd were making the same clone cpu's which led to court lawsuits around 1993-94 but since Intel signed a contract with Amd back in the late 70s on how amd will make cpu's for intel but amd is not owned by intel but employed kinda of......

4. rkarolak

rkarolak

Some of the specifications are different, but it's mostly just two competing companies creating processors. It's similar to asking what's the difference between two car companies. Besides that, AMD tends to make good desktop processors at the $200 range, Intel makes the best high-end processors... There are a bunch of little differences as well. When comparing them it's best to look on a case-by-case basis.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I'm sure AMD produces some CPUs that use an FSB, just as Intel does, but I doubt if their current flagship product does since http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-side_bus says "The front-side bus has been criticized by AMD as being an old and slow technology that bottlenecks today's computer systems." I remember trying to compare specs last year when I was shopping for a new PC & discovered that AMD chips that use their HyperTransport don't use the FSB. I believe that includes the Phenom II line.

7. Coastal

Coastal

If you were purchasing a laptop which one would you choose AMD or INTEL?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice