What's the difference between intel and amd processors?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Just wondering...
not much really at least in the begin, till intel got pissed that amd were making the same clone cpu's which led to court lawsuits around 1993-94 but since Intel signed a contract with Amd back in the late 70s on how amd will make cpu's for intel but amd is not owned by intel but employed kinda of......

Some of the specifications are different, but it's mostly just two competing companies creating processors. It's similar to asking what's the difference between two car companies. Besides that, AMD tends to make good desktop processors at the $200 range, Intel makes the best high-end processors... There are a bunch of little differences as well. When comparing them it's best to look on a case-by-case basis.

calvin-c

Banned
Intel carries higher priced, state of the art processors such as the Core i7 architecture while AMD produces value priced microprocessors which have kept pace with Intel offerings. Intel's most popular product is the Core i7, which uses Quick Path Interface and DDR3 memory. AMD's best seller is the Phenom II architecture that uses a slower front side bus and dual channel RAM. Intel and AMD are both currently producing processors in a 45nm fabrication process. Intel said that the 32nm chips would released in late 2009 while AMD worked to release a 32nm process by 2010.
I'm sure AMD produces some CPUs that use an FSB, just as Intel does, but I doubt if their current flagship product does since http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-side_bus says "The front-side bus has been criticized by AMD as being an old and slow technology that bottlenecks today's computer systems." I remember trying to compare specs last year when I was shopping for a new PC & discovered that AMD chips that use their HyperTransport don't use the FSB. I believe that includes the Phenom II line.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online