1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the downside of Mozilla FireFox?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by thewolfe, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

What's the downside of Mozilla FireFox?

I've heard a lot of people talk about it to avoid viruses but is there some negatives?

2. rpndt1

rpndt1

I have been using it for several months and there are a few downsides I see with the program, although not many.

The major one, and this really isn't a big deal: some sites cannot be viewed by FF and you must use IE. I have had to do this exactly twice, and both with yahoo's launch.com

the other one is dumb: you need an extension to access FTP sites. Not a big deal for the average user.

Bottom line: what firefox lacks, you can make up with extensions.

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

As mentioned, Firefox usually has an extension to cover any web-browsing problems or idiosyncracies of the web. Which is a plus, I feel, since it allows the initial installation of Firefox to take up minimal resources. You then add on only those things (extensions) that you will actually use and the browser isn't cluttered up with things you will never use or want (a waste of space).

I haven't found a downside to it yet, and I've been using it for nearly a year.

4. rpndt1

rpndt1

Yup, no downsides...yet.

5. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight.

6. GreenBud

GreenBud

I like it alot and take any chance I can get not to use a Microsoft product.

I had a problem. The program did some kind of 'reset' which caused me to lose all my settings (bookmarks, etc). I have no idea what happened.

7. DrewGBowman

DrewGBowman

I edit/write HTML and the only downside ive seen is that FF is really very brutal a strict to the W3C code.

I also have only noticed 2 slight bugs:
    On installation the "Start FF Now button" doesnt work,
    and the setting to have new links open as tabs doesnt work (but you just have to press CTRL)

As a plus though Google's GMAIL will not open with IE, but will with FF

8. oblivious69

oblivious69

A lot of companies use ActiveX for intranet sites...like putting in times in timesheets...those don't work well with Firefox...unless a site is using specific IE-related APIs, Firefox should work fine.

9. Lena

Lena

The Windows Update site does not work with FireFox, so you need IE if you want to manually update IE and XP. But FireFox works great everywhere I go. Only problem I ran in to was downloading a pdf file using FireFox and Adobe Reader 6, couldn't get out of Adobe Reader. Solution was to dl and install Adobe Reader 7.

10. Roshith

Roshith

well....one problem i have found with firefox is that i get a lot of error saying " This page contains no data" or something like that...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!