1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats the longest you've kept it up?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Toddles18, Apr 28, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. Stoner

Stoner Banned

:D___'riddlin'

As far as uptime, on a computer anyway......i've seen win98se installs on two different machines of mine go past 3 weeks(22 and 25 days) .

My Mom has a laptop with XP home on it. She's 90 years young and forgot how to turn it off. She uses it almost every day. It had been going into hybernation during the night time.
    It hadn't been turned off in over 6 months :)

Jack

2. shortnpretty

shortnpretty

I hear ya girlfriend!!!! :( I came in here looking for prospects!! :eek:

Just kidding!!!! Just kidding!!!! I'm on dial up and its supposed to get shut down everynight, even though I do use a firewall.

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

Look no further my dear--Mulder is here! :eek:

4. rmay635703

rmay635703

Hmm, my p166 beats all of you!

Attached Files:

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

I'm shocked win98 would go past a day or two without crashing! ;)

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I finally had to break down and restart hubby's every week or so just to have a current registry restore point :eek:

Still can't figure out why he never crashes......not that he does that much with it, but still, it IS Windows 98 after all :rolleyes:

rmay, please tell me that is the server computer and you don't do anything else on it! :mad:

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

Arent' you recently married? I would think you'd do it more than once a week! :eek:

8. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

:confused:

What do you mean? You could only be talking about a computer :confused:

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I said shutdown and restart Mulder, non-stop for one week is a bit much, even for newlyweds :p

10. Stoner

Stoner Banned

It was a problem when I first started learning how to use and care for a computer.
    Wish I had found this site 4 years ago.

My sister works in a lab with some equipment left on for weeks. Several older ones are still hooked up to win95 machines. They are proprietary lab instruments and can't be upgraded. She has told me of uptimes of several weeks on win95.
    But, they don't go online.

I've notced my current 98se machine more stable with the cable internet connection than dial up. Don't know why. Just is.

Sure, win2K and XP are better. But my setup works for me :)
    I think keeping spyware and adware out is most of the battle for stability.
    Never had trouble with virus or trojan infection---lucky :) and careful...

Matter of fact, my very first post at TSG was to tip off several TSG users that a recomended app here, had a trojan in it.
    And then I was caught in the Random 'trap' two months later :eek:

Jack

11. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Well it's up right now, isn't that all that counts? :eek: :D:D:D

but honestly, I turn it off every night to clear the stack registers.

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

The only way a pre-Win2000 machine stays up any length of time is lack of significant use. If your using more than a few different programs and at the same time, its going to crash--especially if your using programs that require more system resources like multimedia stuff. When I was using Win98 and SE, almost daily re-boots were necessary, most of the time not voluntarily! ;)

13. Stoner

Stoner Banned

True.
    you may very well be using a computer differently to me.
    Right now I've been uptime a little more than 15 hours. I do usually shut down before going to bed :).
    Naturally, I can't use all the programs I' m going to list, at once :) or even efficiently, loaded like this. It just shows I can load a fair bit and then use a screen capture- MW Snap- to demonstrate the system works loaded without crashing.
    I don't think most people would do this:
    Open:
    Word
    Excell
    Firebird browser
    PaperPort
    PaintShop Pro
    MS Streets and trips
    Websters notepad
    MW Snap
    Norton Firewall
    Norton AV

I frequently have PaperPort,PaintshopPro, several Editplus and 3 to 5 browsers open while posting the 'Postcard' thread plus what ever is running in the background.

Works for me :)

Attached Files:

• Now.jpg
      Now.jpg
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Mulderator

Mulderator

I usually perk up when going to bed, but then I know Mrs. Mulder is waiting! (y)

15. Mrs. Mulder

Mrs. Mulder

Oh you! No wonder all these girls love you so much. And you know I'll be waiting with baited breath (and some skimpy clothing, LOL) :eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice