1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the maximum supported HD capacity for Win98SE?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by madox, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madox

madox Thread Starter

Trying to decide what size HD to buy, anyone knows what's the maximum supported HD size for Win98se? Thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The limitation isn't based on the operating system, it's based on your system bios ability to recognize a larger drive. There are software overlay programs (EZ-Bios) that will take care of the problem as well.

3. madox

madox Thread Starter

Thanks, becuase I remember that my old Win95 system won't recognize 35gig+ HDs. I tried out the 60gig on Win98se, and it worked fine :)

4. jimi

jimi

interesting to see the mod with the most not quite right, w95A had a limitation of 33.8GB since it relied on DOS 6.22 (regardless of m$ telling us at the time the DOS was no longer involved) which didn't support FAT32. i believe FAT32 systems (95se, 98, me) have a 127.5 limitation, let us know if you find any drives this will ya:rolleyes:. these #'s are all not using any overlay programs

5. brianF

brianF

From MS

6. ~Candy~

correct me if I'm wrong ;)

but, I think the question was based on Windows 98 se :)

7. Rache

Rache Banned

I'm 98se with 3 hd's and the largest is 120gb. No probs.

8. RandyG

RandyG

Nitpicking that one, Candygirl!!:D

I was under the assumption that FAT32 would only recognice up to 1 terrabyte, but glad to be corrected.

Most users don't understand the differences between their Operating Systems and their File Allocation Tables, as they tend to be a background thing. Since Win95 and Win98 allow use of both FATs, madoz question was understandable.

The quick and easy answer with FAT32 is that it will support all current Hard drive sizes, and will continue to do so for some time.

;)

9. jimi

jimi

Randy i think i'll nitpick right back, since these are her words, please read

do i get my account disabled for proving her wrong? even is she gave ms a ;)

10. RandyG

RandyG

Well, golly gee gosh durnit!!!

I'm gonna nitpick at your nitpicking then!!

She originally stated that the limitation is based on your Bios, but that is not the only case, but also the FAT.

Anyone asking about 35+ and 60+ HDDs already has a Bios that supports larger than 8GB.

But I'll be fair and say that that info was not displayed till after the Sweet one's post!!;):D

11. ~Candy~

Wow, jimi actually posting in the real help section......:p

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice