1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the proceedure to un-install MSOffice 2K WITHOUT the CDs?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CMG3, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CMG3

CMG3 Thread Starter

My Office 2K CDs were destroyed and I wasn't able to do updates because it insisted on having the CDs to complete the updates. So I bought Office XP thinking that the upgrade would cure my problem, but it still wants Disk 2 to update my Outlook program. I can't uninstall it either.

I've read some suggestions on this and some of the other boards but nothing has worked to this point. I've even searched the registry and deleted references to Office and deleted the Microsoft Office folder and cleaned up the registry but to no avail.

I also tried to use the Offcln9.exe on the Office 2K install disks, but again NO LUCK.

I'm stuck. Anyone have a solution for me short of format c: /s and starting over?

TIA, Chet

2. ladynimue

ladynimue

Hi
    did you remove ms office through control panel......add/remove prorams.....If you did it should have uninstalled all of it
    ladynimue

3. CMG3

CMG3 Thread Starter

That's the whole problem... I can't uninstall from the control panel because it wants the CDs to uninstall Office 2K and I don't have the CDs that were used to install it. So... I need a solution that doesn't use the CDs to uninstall MS Office 2K.

Anybody?

TIA, Chet

4. ladynimue

ladynimue

5. CMG3

CMG3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the try, but those only clean up the left-overs AFTER you run the uninstall using the CDs. They don't help me because they don't get rid of the entry in the control panel's ADD/REMOVE Programs.

Thanks for the try, Chet

6. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

I've had success using Norton Clean Sweep to remove all the little bitty pieces of programs that get left behind. It's quite thorough. It comes separately or bundled with Norton System Works.

7. CMG3

CMG3 Thread Starter

I've tried that too, but it only removes left-overs. It doesn't un-install Office. And since it doesn't, you can't re-install or remove without the original disks. I need a technique that UNINSTALLS Office 2K without using the CDs. It'll probably endup being a registry hack.

Thanks for the effort,

Chet

8. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Actually, the Uninstall Wizard in Norton Clean Sweep is supposed to remove whole programs. Did you try it specifically for this problem?

9. ladynimue

ladynimue

Hi
    here is a solution that I found on another forum , this one might work

First go to START, PROGRAMS,WINDOWS EXPLORER. Then go down to Office 2000, highlight it,Right click on it,and select delete. This will delete the folder and everything in it.
    Then go to START, RUN, and type regedit, now right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, go to find, type office 2000, then push FIND NEXT.
    Every time it stops at office 2000 push delete, then push F2 to start the search again, until you are told FINISHED SEARCHING THE REGISTER.

let me know

ladynimue

10. CMG3

CMG3 Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought of that too and tried it but that doesn't delete the entry from the Add/Remove section of Control Panel. It still will not let me install Office XP over the top of Office 2K without the CDs that I 1st installed Office 2K with.

There just has to be a solution to this annoying problem other than formating and starting over.

But thanks for the effort, I appreciate it.

Chet :cool:

11. cyberhound

cyberhound

TweakUI, Xteq X-setup, and ZDnet's UnClean will remove the entry from the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel if that is truly the Bugaboo in your way of uninstalling Office 2000.

All three are free BTW.

12. ladynimue

ladynimue

here is a download to clean your registry

http;//www.vtoy.fi/jv16/programs/RegCleaner.exe

try this see what happens, going to hit on lucky one of these times

ladynimue

13. CMG3

CMG3 Thread Starter

I appreciate all the help the Tech Support people have tried to supply, but a guy from Great Britian finally came up with the solution.

Link to the Removal Program for Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/two/adma04.htm

(although that link seems to not be responding today it did work yesterday.)

And it W O R K E D beautifully. I hope this is useful for others.

Thanks again.

The only way to live happily with people is to overlook their faults and admire their virtues.

Cheers, Chet:)

14. CMG3

CMG3 Thread Starter

My previous post with a link to Microsoft site was NOT the one that solved my problem, although it is helpful, but this is the site and download that solved my problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q238413

Sorry, but after going to so many different url and trying so many programs I lost track. I hope this didn't cause any problems for anyone.

Cheers, Chet

The only way to live happily with people is to overlook their faults and admire their virtues.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice