What's the use of XP System Restore?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jerold

What is the use of this thing if I can't restore a previous setting? I keep getting Restore incomplete. I may as well turn off this service.

Yup, useless setting.

Backup or ghost your system, that is the only reliable option.

Jerold

something happened that i came across on my desktop pc before. For some reason, I cannot create a new folder on the desktop if I try to save an image from the internet via he right-click method. I was able to do it a few weeks ago and the only thing that I installed was TWEAKUI and some Iomega software. I was trying to do restore to a previous restore point to see if I can get back to the point where I can create a new fodler on the desktop.

Jerold

I've used it in the past before and It always worked well for me. Lately (on my new machines) they have been failing me and I have been getting odd things happening like the inability to create a new desktop folder when saving.

valis

fwiw, i've tried to use it probably 30 times, in xp home and pro, in safe and normal modes, and it's never worked for me. b/u is the only way to be sure, as far as I'm concerned.

Jerold

I backup my data regularly - i've killed 4 HDD in the past year and i've learned my lesson about backing up. I need system restore to try to get back Windows sytem settings that apparently have a mind of it's own. I think that the automatic upgrade may have casued this issue I am having.

valis

yah, i've learned my lesson about those upgrades.....namely, sure, d/l them, but let them sit around for a month or so to see if they cause any issues....having it happen once is too many times for me.....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online