1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's The Worst Thing You've Ever Done To A Computer?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Hulk701, Jan 24, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned Thread Starter

Hey Gang,

I know I've pulled some pretty bone-head maneuvers with my computer, like when I tried to install IE 3.2 over IE 4.0 and wound up with lightening bolts on my monitor; or the time I thought if cold ink would preserve longer, REALLY cold ink would be better - so I put an ink tank in the freezer and ruined my printer.

I know I've done some pretty bad and wacky stuff and I'm sure we all have. Tell us your best (or worst) one. Go ahead - we're all anonymous here so no one has to get caught...[​IMG]

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Installed Win XP! :eek: ;)

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

bought a Gateway.

wait...wait......bought a HP laptop!!

4. cheese

cheese

Updating to Windows SP1 in a storm....power went out in the middle.. finding windows would not boot and had to format (could be the case again).

5. izme

izme

What's The Worst Thing You've Ever Done To A Computer?

I turned it on :D

6. hotskates

hotskates

I deleted my "Recycle Bin":(

7. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Back when my Brother and I were building computers from spare parts, he accidentally (and obviously forcefully) plugged the power cord for the hard drive (a whopping 400MB IDE drive) in backwards (upside-down).

The drive started to smoke as he switched it on. :eek:

He immediately unplugged it and took the drive out. A couple of the dram chips on the bottom of the drive had melted right into the circuit board. He then plugged it back in correctly

What is REALLY amazing it that the drive still functioned properly. :eek:

8. linskyjack

linskyjack

I blew up an Apple II (branded as a Honeywell) while trying to put a 60 column card in it.

9. Gibble

Gibble

I set a motherboard on fire...literally...I still don't know what went wrong, as everything was connected properly, and nothing was shorting. It was odd, because with a different power supply, video card, controller card (this was the 386 days) hd, and fd, and an identical motherboard...another one popped and smoked from the same chip on the board.

...I didn't try another of those motherboards after that!!!

10. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned Thread Starter

I did the same thing with my floppy drive, but this time it shorted out my entire computer and I had to get a new one - a $400.00 mistake...The tech I bought it from told me it was a Duron 1200, it turned to be an overclocked 850![​IMG]

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I plugged an AT power supply into the motherboard backwards :eek:

12. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Oh .... I also tossed an IBM 8086 XT out a 3rd story window to the pavement below along with the green monochrome monitor. Both were working fine (as fine as the architecture would allow) but this was right around the time I assembled my first 486.
    We filmed it for kicks. The unit wasn't worth the time it took to clean up the pavement. :D

13. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Yikes! What happened when you flipped the power switch?
    Didja melt the motherboard?

14. Big-K

Big-K

If you still have that problem, the solution would be to go to explorer/folder options/view. Under the check marks, make sure that 'Show Hidden Files And Folders' is checked instead of its opposite. Now a folder called Recycler is in your C: drive, go into that, and make sure your in whichever enclosed item is your recycle bin that you use(it can also contain Antivirus ones), and make a shortcut to that on your desktop or wherever.

Stupidest? Not much, probably just removing a 6 gig hard drive(which is actually quite useful for me) and putting it on the floor of my bedroom, which is carpeted(not shag fortunatly), and leaving it there. At one point I shoved it forward, and this was in winter. I didnt think much of it, but when I got this computer working again and tried to install it, it wouldnt work. It kept saying ERROR about it. I assume it was the static:)

15. coderitr

coderitr

I was installing Windows NT in 1999 and got to the point where it was formatting the partition. About 1/3 of the way through the format I pulled the plug. Deliberately. I was evaluating Norton Ghost at the time and it was the best way I could think of to wreck a hard drive. Ghost recovered it. (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice