1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats this unused connection for on my laptop mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by linkinworm, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linkinworm

linkinworm Thread Starter

ok i dunno how to explain it but heres a few pics of the connector, the only im on about is the small white one, iv takken some up close pictures and a whole laptop picture so u get an idea of where it is. its at the bottom, next to the wireless card, and theres not much space to use, but there is a screw hole thats isnt use there heres some pictures, anyone have any ideas, i thought it mught just be for a debug device but im not sure, id like to install a fan and use that as power if i could because my laptop is running at around 50-55C on a normal load
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. arknorth

arknorth

The pic would be nice - also, make and model of the laptop helps as well.

A-N

3. linkinworm

its an advent 8315

4. Soundy

Soundy

Given that it seems to be in a relatively accessible location, I would guess it's for some sort of add-in device... it's not a Mini-PCI or memory slot, so maybe somewhere to plug in a modem or bluetooth adapter?

5. arknorth

arknorth

Umm, well I'm not seeing any pics, and the machine itself isn't sold over here in the States. But, it sounds an awful lot like the same unused slot that my old Gateway has (in fact, the shape of your box your computer is in looks very much like a Gateway, so they might be sharing components - pic c/o PCWorld). It is, in my case, an expansion port, used for things like a video card, bluetooth adaptor, WIFI, what have you.

A-N

6. matthew0155

matthew0155

note, when taking close up pictures put your camera in delicate mode, or super macro to get less blur in your pictures..

7. linkinworm

well the camera is only 4mp thats the best it can do

8. gollum456

gollum456

doesn't matter what mp it is. macro is a function on a camera for taking close-up shots. it will be in your zoom options

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

See if you can find a number on the machine that matches a number on this page. If so, you can download the manual for the machine.

http://www.uniwill.com/downloads/

10. matthew0155

matthew0155

ya, as for the camera, its normally indicated as a flower...

11. arknorth

arknorth

There's no joy on that Win2kpro, as I found that Advent's own web site states in a single sentence "Coming Soon" - yay for online help from a company who makes things (more to the point - SELLS things) that go online.

Now I can see the pics - that little white clip? Its hard to see in the fuzz, but it does look like a power jumper for an add on. Its location up front makes me think its use is for that video chip, or a RAM battery like some DELLs have.

You do have to remember that these companies that specialize in 'inexpencive computers' are more likely simply re-badgers (rebranding a stock machine provided by an outsourced manufacturer). These guys in turn need to build their machines in a way that one board can be used for many systems. You're libel to find almost any sort of jacks unused on there, because the same board in the next machine will have a different card or device in that slot and such.

Saying that, and looking at the pic again, tell me, does the door that came off this section have a grill on it? If it does, and seeing that the PROCESSOR is exposed when the hatch is open, I wonder if in other models, that is the power jack for a fan? If the door has a grill, check to see if it also has mounting points for one.

A-N

BTW - the close up on your camera is the setting with the Tulip as an icon - it pretty automatic from there ;)

12. linkinworm

by grill do u mean just like a metal shielding? because thats on the door yes, there isnt an mount points but there is a screwhole on the caseing(the chasse sorry dont know how to spell it lol) has a small screw hole that i can use to hold whatever i put in there down, iv seen a bluetooth device thats about the right size and has the hole for the screw there,
    and video card? do you mean i could get some dedicated graphics in this thing? i mean nothing amaing but i could get some better gameing power other than this 256 intergrated crap?

13. arknorth

arknorth

That's just it - in some laptops, a video card is available that is not integrated, and can be added - just normally not by the consumer, as they tend to be installed by customizing computer manufacturerers (which this box looks more and more like). The problem is trying to find an after market laptop vid-card is nearly impossible. Not only are the specs usually determined by the internal setup of the laptop, but just because the MB has the jack, it doesn't mean the box they dropped it into has the space.

As for that grill, I meant an actual grill - slots of air intake in the door. If a grill is not there, that does not mean one wasn't available in another model. A modular case can usually have all sorts of differnt doors and thing chunked into them at one point or another.

From what I saw (I'm at work, and your pics don't show up here - yay blocking software!) what I can determin is that it is some sort of power port, possibly a powered I/O unit. It could be for a fan, but being that it is set right up front near your front-side jacks, I would lean towards the Bluetooth adaptor, especially since there seems to be a gap in front of it where one could seat one.

A-N

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice