What's up with page load speed?

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
I have DSL and almost everything every where else loads fast.
When I try to view a page here lately I get the BG immediately, but it takes 20-45 secs (or more) for the ad to load before I can see the message!????

John

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
Agree John.

It seems to take forever and I have to use the F5 to kick it into action sometimes. Wehn TSG is loading I feel like I'm on dial-up.

:confused: :confused:

bassetman

Hey PC!

It must be just you and me, considering the posts here!

Pretty weird that it would be just us and only this site!

John

cept I AM on dial-up, ususlly a few time a day the page just won't load..usually a quick refresh does the job..maybe we are stretching the bandwidth to the limit ??...Rhett

bassetman

Maybe, but the lag seems to be linked to the Ad load time for me. :(

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
I got another conspiracy theory. Notice there's no right wingers having a problem? I think we're being mulderated!:eek:

For me, it is 50-55 seconds before ANY page loads on the entire forum.

And on a full T1 line that is EXTREMELY painful indeed! :)

I'm using IE6 on WinXP if it makes any diff, and any other site i goto on the internet loads in a flash!

I am sure it has something to do with ad loading since I have not experienced any problems while signed in. When first coming to TSG and not signed in if I review any threads the load time is slower. Remember the load time for the page is directly related to its slowest element which in this case may be the remote ad controller.

Dave

bassetman

Thanks Davey, that's kind of what I figured. :(

John

For me, I just figured out, its Internet Explorer! It works fine with Netscape. wierd.

bassetman

Tried that too, they both load slowly :(

Nice pic Rikku! :cool:

I’ve been wondering if some of those enormous threads on random can be cluttering things. I have no experience with servers, but it seems that nearly 6000 posts in the image display thread could slow things a bit. The images on the whole page have to be accessed every time someone opens one and if you look at the times each image that is accessed there are a lot of people looking at it.

bassetman

On posting this reply, it took almost a min to load!

John

Must be the ads that are the slow down.

I have dial up and my ISP is having trouble tonight so I can't get a good speed but I have the ads turned off and am doing better the you are.

Seems to vary, and not necessarily in response to useage/load.

Earlier in the evening (~8:30 pm local) I looked at this page - loaded in under 5 seconds. Just now (~3:10 am - relatively few people on) it took 23 seconds. (Dialup connection - no ads)

Tracert shows 2 slowdowns for me - 1 in Toronto (core3-toronto63-pos0-1.in.bellnexxia.net [64.2308.103.114]) and 1 in Chicago(?) (chi-core-03.inet.qwest.net [205.171.20.141]) - both at around 2100 ms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts