1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's up with the Outlook Express deleted items.dbx file?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by IronMike778, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IronMike778

IronMike778 Thread Starter

I bought a new computer and will be transferring my OE messages to the new computer. When I found the OUtlook Express folder and checked the properties I discovered the folder was a whopping 595MB!! That's crazy!! I keep my OE mail under control and delete old mail on a regular basis. When I checked the Properties of the deleted items.dbx file it checks in at 394 MB. My Deleted Items folder is hardly ever full and I keep my Recycle Bin empty as well.

What do I need to do to empty this deleted items.dbx file COMPLETELY and reduce the size of the Outlook Express folder altogether?

Mike

2. sekirt

sekirt

In your case, I would suggest to close OE and just delete the Deleted Items.DBX file. OE will rebuild a brand new empty file to replace it. Any emails sitting in the deleted items folder will also be deleted. You could compact but a file of that size will take forever, not to mention the wear and tear on your hard drive.

If there are no emails in other folders, you can also delete the corresponding DBX files. OE will rebuild new ones.

Once that is done and for the future....

Manual maintenance should be done on a regular basis. Once OFFLINE, open OE. Click
    File-->Folder. Then choose Compact All Folders. This will optimize the DBX files. Optimizing takes out all the wasted space.

Do not check Compact folders in the background. This can lead to lost emails.
    (Tools->Options. Maintenance Tab)

sekirt

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If you just run compaction, the size of the deleted file will shrink. No real reason to delete them.

4. IronMike778

IronMike778 Thread Starter

Great response.....thanks a lot!!

5. sekirt

sekirt

(y)

sekirt

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/299082