1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's VBI on a monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sailing2you, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sailing2you

sailing2you Thread Starter

I was looking at a new LCD monitor from LG. A review by someone who purchased one said it was a great monitor, but did not have VBI, or maybe VIB. I can't find the review anymore so I'm not sure I have the initials in the proper order. Anyway, what is VBI and do I need it?
    Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. RAMAddict

RAMAddict

The Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI)
    Even though there are 525 scan lines in a television frame, not all of those lines are visible. The electron beam that travels left to right all the way down the screen must have time to return to the top of the screen after drawing each field. The time allocated to travel from the bottom to the top of the screen is called the vertical blanking interval (VBI), and is equivalent to the time required to draw 42 lines.

Of course, the television broadcaster does not stop transmission while the electron beam travels back to the top of the screen. This means that the television signal sent for the top 42 lines of each television frame cannot carry information to be used for the picture. This leaves 483 (525 minus 42) visible lines of vertical resolution. Since TVs (like computer monitors) are wider than they are high, this yields roughly 640 pixels of horizontal resolution, or a 640 x 480 screen resolution

I also found this short:
    Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI), a must-have if monitoring involves any information transmitted during vertical blanking

---
    Hopefully some of the information I searched helped you.

3. sailing2you

sailing2you Thread Starter

Thanks Ram, that was quite explicit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice