1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's with Quality of HP Ink?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by no_Wedge, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no_Wedge

no_Wedge Thread Starter

I just bought an HP 21 black ink cartridge to use on my deskjet 3930 printer, I set my print properties to normal fast printing, with grayscale, and printed about 140 pages (some almost blank and all double spaced) of a text document, It stops at about 160page and completely runs out of ink. What is up with this stingy ink cartridge?
    Anyone know of a better printer, that will yield more pages per cartridge?
    My mother had an old brand that didn't print as fast as most modern printers, but you could get like 300pages with a single cartridge.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I own one ink jet printer but frankly with the prices of ink coming down, you need to look at laser printers. For my use Canon were always the least expensive cartridges and the longest lasting. Where I changed cartridges about every 2 months, with laser cartridges I do that yearly and the prices are only about double that of ink jet cartridges.

3. NgelicDestroyer

NgelicDestroyer

The HP21, HP27, and HP56 cartridges are all very similar, the only difference being in the electronics of the cartridge, unfortunately their fill sizes are completely different from the HP factory. Although the cartridges are physically the same size, the HP21 is only filled with 6ml of ink, whereas the HP27 and HP56 are filled to 10ml and 19ml respectively. It doesn't necessarily surprise me that the 21 ran out so quickly.

I would definitely look into a cheaper laser printer if you have the money, and you mostly print text documents and the sort that don't require color. The initial costs are higher, but the page yeild per cartridge is well worth it. Of coarse, if you're like me and don't print often, and just want a reliable, lasting inkjet, I would recommend using any printer with the HP96(blk) and HP97(color) cartridges. The HP56 I was referring to earlier according to HP yeilds about 480 pages per cartridge, whereas the HP96 is rated at 860 pages per cartridge.

Please keep in mind that I am recommending these to you based on the quality of the injet cartridge, not the printers they go in. I highly recommend reviewing for yourself which printers are better than others and have which features you may or may not need. And I don't know much about current laserjet printers either, so if that is your choice of action, then I will not be of much help to you, but when I was still in the printing business HP laser printers were personally the most user friendly and easy to use.

Here's a list of HP96 compatible printers:
    HP Deskjet 5740 Color Inkjet Printer (C9016A)
    HP Deskjet 5940 Photo Printer (C9017A)
    HP Deskjet 6840 Color Inkjet Printer (C9029A)
    HP Deskjet 6940 Printer (C8970A)
    HP Deskjet 6940dt Printer (C8973A)
    HP Deskjet 6980 Printer (C8969A)
    HP Deskjet 6980dt Printer (C8972A)
    HP Deskjet 6988 Printer (CB055A)
    HP Deskjet 6988dt Printer (CB058A)
    HP Deskjet 9800 Printer (C8165A)
    HP Officejet 7210 All-in-One (Q5560A)
    HP Officejet 7310 All-in-One (Q5562A)
    HP Officejet 7410 All-in-One (Q5569A)
    HP Photosmart 2610 All-in-One (Q5542A)
    HP Photosmart 2710 All-in-One (Q5552A)
    HP Photosmart 8050 Printer (Q6351A)
    HP Photosmart 8150 Photo Printer (Q3399A)
    HP Photosmart 8250 Printer (Q3470A)
    HP Photosmart 8450 Photo Printer (Q3388A)
    HP Photosmart 8750 Professional Photo Printer (Q5747A)
    HP Photosmart Pro B8350 Printer (Q8492A)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/673733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice