1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats with Trace routes??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Swiper, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

here is an example of a traceroute I do to any site, no matter what site it is.

Can someone explain wtf is happening??
    I have no problems with NSLOOKUPS / PINGS/ AND BROWSING but traceroutes are all bungled up.

http://tinyurl.com/mozu

Does this on A DSL w/PPPoe connection.
    Does this with a D-Link router AND with a direct to modem connection.
    Does this with 4 different sets of DNS server address manually set in. ( 4 different ISP services w/ 2 from each one )
    Nothing works.
    XP w/SP1 and all critical updates.
    No firewall installed
    No antivirus installed.
    Just did a fresh install of XP w/SP1
    no change.

any ideas??

2. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

Anyone??

3. rawmeat

rawmeat

Just a guess, but with so many DOS attacks, I can't tracert out of the office LAN. could be our firewall, could be ISP's firewall, could be all internet routers won't respond. It is impossible to tell from your capture as you have cut off the destination and origin, probably a smart move, but it does not provide enough info to diagnose.

4. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

Well, I cut off the origin for a reason. Usually 1st and 2nd hop respond, but the next 28 hops fail / time out to ALL internet sites.

Gonna call my ISP to see if they have blocked any particular port that might be causing this behavior.
    Traces use port 53 i do believe.

YES ?? NO ??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice