1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's wrong with this hp?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bstrange99, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bstrange99

bstrange99 Thread Starter

I'm trying to install a new hard drive in a hewlett packard Vectra for a friend. The new drive is a maxtor 60gig. When I get it all connected, it goes through the diagnostics screen up to detecting ide drives, and it wont see any drives. If I unplug the hard drive, it sees the floppy and both cd's. Any ideas?
    btw, it's an old pentium 3 450mhz.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

The drive is prolly too big for the bios, try a flash but as old as that PC is it prolly cant handle a 60 G HD

3. junker39

junker39

Check the jumper on the rear of the HDD. It has got to be set as Master. Good luck.

4. bstrange99

bstrange99 Thread Starter

I've tried the jumper at master, and cable select. I've even tried it with nothing but the hard drive. And the hard drive works fine in a compaq that I have.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Then it is most likely as previously stated: The system BIOS suffers from a small drive limitation.

BIOS update may be available; but, with a machine of that vintage, I doubt it will carry it all the way to 60 Gigs.

6. junker39

junker39

Just for fun, have you set the partitions and formatted this new drive? The BIOS should see the drive even if it doesn't see the whole 60g. Try a fdisk and set to active,then format it. See what that does.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice