1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's your favorite brand name wireless manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by diablo75, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

Linksys has a tradition of being touted as one of the best home grade router and wireless networking devices (as well as wired, of course). Anybody can do wired. But it seems when it comes to wireless, they're reluctant to maintain a driver set that supports the latest upgrades (Vista is not supported by my wireless B card, for example), and the router it authenticates with has not seen a firmware update from Linksys for quite some time. A firmware update would be great for that router if they would finally address an issue it has with high amounts of UDP traffic causing it to freeze, requiring a reset. Some people think these things should just be regarded as water under the bridge, and that I should just toss the equipment in the trash with a smile and spend more money on new equipment. But others, like me, know that this hardware is still capable of performing well if only it were supported with an occasional driver update or firmware release.

So...enough about my gripe with Linksys. If you guys think it's still "the @#$#", then I'll buy it again. But if anyone out there thinks there's a competing manufacturer who's customer service, support, and functionality/reliability of their hardware rivals or beats Linksys, I'm all ears.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I've tried Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, and Belkin. I've always gotten the strongest and most reliable signal with my Belkin Pre-N equipment. I've had it for about 3 years so it's a little outdated but has never given me any problems.

Regards,
    Rollin

3. inetbogey

inetbogey

they are all good when they work. If you want tech support then stay away from linksys.
    if its in warranty they will send you a new one, if its out of warranty then they don't repair so buy a new one.
    i would go with dlink, netgear, or belkin in that order. (just my opinion)

4. rhettman5

rhettman5

I was using a Linksys wireless N router and after a little over a month of use it died....router still worked for direct connections, but the wireless was dead...replaced it with a Netgear RangeMax, and I get a stronger signal in my shop than the "N" router ever did...sold on netgear here ! (also about 1/2 the price of the linksys)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!