1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats your favorite Linux Distro?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Coco767, Oct 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Hi. I wanted to ask the people on the forum what their favorite linux distro is.

Personally, i like Macpup and Ubuntu best.

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Currently: Xenialpup 7.5 64 bit booting from a DVD.

Past distros I liked and ran either from CD or DVD:
    Tahrpup 6.0.6 64bit uefi
    Skacko 5.5 and 5.7, ran the 7.0(listed as 6.999) for a short spell
    Slax a long time ago but only when Windows was broken. ( :D ) That was interesting.

Ran Mint from a hard drive, but only off line and as a virtual OS.
    If I was going to run a distro from a hard drive full time and with an Internet connection, it would be Mint.

3. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

If i would run a distro from a hard drive, id rather use ubuntu. In fact, i want to get a new hard drive for the thinkpad and install it on that.

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Has anyone tried out the Reactos beta? ( not a Linux distro )

5. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

is there a 32-bit? i could try it out im my VM

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I've taken it out for a spin, but prefer the derivatives of it, like Mint and many of the Puppy versions.

I probably won't do a permanent Linux hard drive install on any of my computers.
    No need.
    Off line, it's only Windows for me and for the Internet I prefer the better security associated with Live CD/DVDs.

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Here's their web site:

https://www.reactos.org/

8. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Actually, ill think ill full out boot ReactOS in a flash drive if i like it in the VM. The only thing annoying about it so far is the download is in a zip file....

9. 2twenty2

2twenty2

One of my favorites Linux Mint

10. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

I tried out ReactOS in the Vm.

First time the install got corrupted - that was my fault

Its in the VM. Adjusting specs allowed to the VM.
    It needed 700 mb RAM and 70 mb video memory to run stable without hopelessly freezing after 10 minutes.

Happily finding out its able to run windows programs. probably because it installs winegecko something in its system files at install.

Later.... running fine... Bluescreen. Huh? Its based on windows without actually using Windows code, what do you expect.

After a reboot.... it corrupts ITSELF?

And that is what happened when i tried it. After that i don't like it, put a different OS to boot on flash drive.

11. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    If I remember, your laptop doesn't have a lot of memory.
    Running an OS in a virtual machine uses more memory than if you boot that OS from a Live DVD or usb flash drive.

Sounds like you are running out of memory.

You might have better luck booting ReactOS from a Live DVD or USB flash drive instead of booting up Windows and then running it as a virtual OS.

12. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Actually ReactOS has a Task Manager built in and that actualy said it was running out of CPU, when there was no execution cap on it. And actual machine CPU usage was around a steady 50%, so i dont get why it didn't take advantage of more of my CPU.

RAM usage in the actual machine was about 1 GB out of 1.5, and the VM i let use 700 MB, so im confused.

It probably could have been running out of memory, i suppose though. Because the Task manager in it tried to show me page file usage instead of RAM usage.

The live file iso was happy running with 300 MB of RAM and 30 or 40 MB of video memory, which confuses me.

Im getting a RAM upgrade soon to be able to keep up better, anyways. So, i might not have to boot it from usb. I actually don't want to run it on a usb because its still a version away from beta stage, so technically its still in the alpha stage.

13. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Lets actually get talking about Linux distros, shall we?

14. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  15. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I don't have much more to comment on.
    For all my Internet usage, Xenialpup, Tahrpup and SlackO have done everything I need or want and done it well.

A Live DVD distro running completely in ram, is quicker than a hard drive install and less chance of malware damage to the code on a DVD than a hard drive.
    Puppy runs quite well on older equipment
    I doubt I'll ever go back to Windows for Internet access.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!