Whats Your Opinion - CCleaner vs WinUtilities

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windjamer

Jim
I have been a user of CCleaner for many years. Since the software was purchased by another company it doesn't seem to be as effective. It has a lot of new bells and whistles for retail effect. Most Tech's will warn you not to use the registry cleaner. I have recently found WinUtilities to be just as effective or even better in some cases.
Does anyone know about these softwares and have an opinion of which one they would recommend?

Windjamer

Jim
Thanks_harp28, Oddly enough I never use CCleaner or WinUtilities to clean my register. CCleaner says it "Removes Trackers, Removes Junk, and removes unwanted apps and closes security holes" if I can believe it or know if its worth the cost. WinUtilities does the same. Basically they seem to be browser cleaners. Do you think their worth the effort and cost? I ask because I had a problem once where I couldn't get my computer to open my PDF's - ran WinUtilities and it solved the problem.

blues_harp28

Any free program has to make some amount of cash to keep their product,
available to all.
I use the free version of Ccleaner, to just remove temp files, etc.
But as with any program we download other programs can be attached to it, even a full anti-virus program!
And that is why on this forum we are cautious in recommending any 'one click fix all' programs.

ran WinUtilities and it solved the problem.
Any such programs indeed do good and may fix some issue, the only problem is that they do harm as well.
You (the user) only needs to weight out how much damage is acceptable for you, for most people (who don't recommend cleaners and fixers) no damage at all is acceptable, even if just a little.

I have been a user of CCleaner for many years. Since the software was purchased by another company it doesn't seem to be as effective. It has a lot of new bells and whistles for retail effect. Most Tech's will warn you not to use the registry cleaner. I have recently found WinUtilities to be just as effective or even better in some cases.
Does anyone know about these softwares and have an opinion of which one they would recommend?
I have used CCleaner with BleachBit for over three years on my XP Pro rig, without incident, so both will carry over when I transition to Win 7 Pro. No matter which one is used first, the next one always finds stuff the former missed. Neither/both are all that good at cleaning Firefox cache, but Firefox will not survive the transition, so it doesn't matter.

I suspect them that have a problem with either are them that checked every option in the setup. Just because CCLeaner or BleachBit can sanitize this or that, does not mean one should let it.

crjdriver

CCleaner is probably the first program I install after a clean install of windows. I use it to uninstall the bloatware that comes with windows [it does seem that the latest version of windows does not install nearly as much bloatware]
I agree with the above; do not use the registry cleaner part of ccleaner [or any other utility]

I too use Ccleaner to clean up my computer.I dont use the registry cleaner either.The only time i use a reg cleaner is to clean out some leftovers of a rogue uninstalled program that may cause havoc on my computer.(rarely happens)I however use a manual scanner so i know what im deleting.Been doing it for many years so i know what im doing.I would not however recommend it to anyone who isnt tech savvy enough or who knows nothing about the registry.It's a good way to render your computer useless if you dont know what your doing.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
CCleaner is probably the first program I install after a clean install of windows. I use it to uninstall the bloatware that comes with windows
I also install Piriform CCleaner right after doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Besides it allowing me to uninstall the remaining bloatware that can't be done in Windows 10, it allows me to prevent certain processes from auto-loading, and it allows me to rename drivers and apps to their exact names and versions (a pet peeve of mine).

------------------------------------------------

I respect all the personal preferences and opinions of other members here, but CCleaner is on my list of most unwanted software.

I can't say whether, why or if CCleaner does something good or bad but all this stuff I enjoy to it my self.
Another valid reason is that less software equals less file system and registry clutter which is not a bad thing.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I use CCleaner and have since forever!

Firehammer

carsten
Hi, I use WiseCare 365 Pro, I think it is way better than Ccleaner Free/Pro or Winutillities.:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online