What's your Windows Experience Index?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

john doe iii

Just curious what everybodys index is.... Im a little confused on how they come up with this?

Mine is a 3.0 and my system configuration is:

AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4000
2GB of RAM
200GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

I thought i'd be higher than 3.0

Never paid much attention, really. The games I like are not brand new, anyway. What would be considered "good"?

Attachments

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You cheated!
The most definitive explanation I've seen so far is Windows Experience Index: An In-Depth Look, on the Windows Vista Team Blog, http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/pages/458117.aspx. It explains what goes into the 5 sub-scores, each of which can range from 1 to 5.9 (higher is better). The lowest of the sub-scores becomes the base score. So the system whose index is shown here has a smokin' hard disk, fast RAM, and a decent CPU, so it gets scores of 5.1 or better in all those categories. But the video card in that same machine was a low-cost add-in and it shows, with Graphics and Gaming Graphics scores of 3.9 and 3.7, respectively. That last number is the one that appears in big bold type in the Welcome Center.

"Maybe it goes higher in SP1, and he's using it"

No, but for some peculiar reason it seems to go up when he's using Photoshop...;)

4.7 on my Toshiba. The Acer doesn't bear thinking about!

You cheated!]
Well, I do have SP1, but I just installed it today and haven't checked it yet. That is an interesting question, though, about whether SP1 will change the index. I imagine that it will in some cases as hardware evaluations are corrected.

It's not in the registry.

Windows Vista Ultimate, Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

Attachments

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Oh dear, Elvandil, your base score is lower than all your subscores, could it be Malware ?

BTW I thought everything was in the Registry !

Oh dear, Elvandil, your base score is lower than all your subscores, could it be Malware ?

BTW I thought everything was in the Registry !
Oops! Did I forget something in my haste?

Do you think I may get a better score if I scan for malware?

Very nice! Maybe if you go with solid-state you can again face the world without embarrassment.

peterh40

Peter
Well, mine is 4.4 which consists of:

Processor: 5.3
Memory: 4.7
Graphics: 4.4
Gaming graphics: 4.8
Primary HD: 5.8

The graphics will get improved when I get a Radeon HD DX 10 card later in the year. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online