1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whee to get best rate on XP Pro

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kingsmills58, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingsmills58

kingsmills58 Thread Starter

Microsoft says I have a bad XP pro. I know I paid for it but guy sho put computer together for me could have used any copy he had around. I didn't get my copy back. Anyway this was 3 years ago. Need some info on where to get XP pro reasonably.
    thanks

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

You could get an OEM version of Windows as long as you buy a piece of hardware (buy something cheap) with it.

I would wait for Vista though....

4. techy689

techy689

no point in buying xp when vista is coming out... just wait another week or so... itll be worth it

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Hardly. With the very steep hardware requirements to activate the 'fancy stuff', and all the extreme DRM foolishness, I'll pass.

Some light reading.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I doubt a three year old PC will run Vista without some serious issues or sinking a lot of money into upgrades.

7. ferrija1

ferrija1

I'm not trying to turn this into a Vista thread but for Aero and all the other feature you only need 1 GB of RAM, a 1GHz processor, an a 128 MB graphics card. That's not much.

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I'd wait at least one year.

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

That's barely enough to run XP decently. Does this come from a real world test, or some MS PR sheet?

11. ferrija1

ferrija1

It's from MS's site but I've seen people running XP with 256MB of RAM. :eek:

12. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I've seen Windows XP selling for real cheap at a flea market booth run by a Nigerian.....Is that suspicious??? :D

Regards,
    Rollin

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well MS wants to sell their product. Running with 256MB? I it's more like a walk. :) And I like my SPDIF audio output, to see it disabled over some Vista DRM nonsense is unacceptable.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice