1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When computer is turned on, shuts down by itself in a few seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BugMeNoMore, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BugMeNoMore

BugMeNoMore Banned Thread Starter

Hi all,

When I turn on my computer, it stays on for a couple seconds then shuts down, the monitor never activates so I cannot get into the BIOS. There are no beeps when I turn it on. The first time I booted it up since I put in the new processor, RAM and video card, there was a loud pop on the first boot, I have no idea where it emanated from.

2. silvershield

silvershield

...Ouch

You might want to look inside and take off the CPU heatsink and look at it and make sure the CPU isnt damaged first..Next I would check the RAM and make sure it doesnt look burnt, and last, the video card, and the motherboard. If nothing is burnt or damaged, I suspect the system fan or the CPU fan.
    Make sure they both operate.

3. DittoDude

DittoDude

You might want to check the power supply too, especially if it's a Dell.
    I just replaced one in my 17 month old Dell Dimension 4600.
    If something electronic popped, you should be able to see and/or smell it.

4. BugMeNoMore

Nothing looks burnt, I took it all apart and put each piece in separately. Even with everything out, including the CPU, the power comes on for a bit and then goes off in a few seconds. If I try it again after that it will come on and shut right back down in less than a second. Only if i leave it for a while will it go back to powering up for a few seconds then shutting back down (only on the first boot).

5. silvershield

silvershield

Ahh.......Disconnect your motherboard from the power supply. See if your PSU fan stays on for longer than it would before. If it does, youve got a faulty motherboard most likely. If it doesnt, replace the PSU.

6. BugMeNoMore

Hey, thanks silvershield. Yea, I forgot to mention that I tried the PSU on another comp and it ran fine, so it just may be the mboard after all. Very depressing after just buying the CPU, RAM and AGP video card to go with the board. Sigh.

7. silvershield

silvershield

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice