1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When did all caps begin to get percieved as shouting??

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Training, Dec 23, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. Training

Training Thread Starter

Yea, like back in the telegram days they could only have messages in all caps right. But now all caps in electronic communication = yelling, why?

From what I can tell a few people arbitrarily decided caps = yelling and then went around acting offended when people typed in all caps which in turn caused these people act offended to caps, until it became common knowledge and only Newbs don't know until they try to communicate in all caps.

Does this sound right?

2. Gibble

Gibble

Not really.

Think about it. If you are writing a letter, column, etc, this is how you write. With proper grammer.

The reason the telegraph was 'all caps' was because it used morse code. An 'a' is an 'A' is an 'a', no differentiation. Things would be written in all uppercase for simplicity.

In the written word, telegraph exluded, where we have the ability to differentiate between upper and lowercase, as you can clearly see, proper grammar is expected.

Cartoons, and stories for ages, even before the telegraph have used capital letters to show emphasis of a word or phrase (yelling).

It has nothing to do with the fact this is an electronic communication medium. It has to do with the fact we can see the writing, so proper grammar and spelling is expected of you.

3. Training

Training Thread Starter

Ah never thought of it that way. Makes sense now :)

I guess I just have an issues about people taking great offense to all caps. :p

4. Gibble

Gibble

It's hard to READ ALL CAPS, IT'S NOT THAT PEOPLE CAN'T IT'S THAT WE AREN'T ACCUSTOMED TO READING TEXT LIKE THIS AND IT'S VERY ANNOYING. ;)

5. moonmist

moonmist

Gibbs stop that......... its annoying........... :D

6. p51

p51

Gibbs, Training was mearly asking. No need to start yelling!! ;)

7. pronute

pronute

actually I started that CAPS= YELLING thing about 15 years ago.:D

sorry about that Training

8. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

pronute = Al Gore :) :)

9. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

There should be a law against people who use all caps, all the time.
    They should be take out and mamed. :eek:

10. Rockn

Rockn

iTS lIKE fORGETTING tO tURN tHE cAPS lOCK oFF. The upper or lower case has nothing to do with grammer. Think about this, there is no other way other than puctuation on the internet to describe yelling or the feeling someone is attempting to convey that's also why nerds came up with smilies and all the acronymical things like LOL, LMFAO, etc. I just made that word up BTW...BRB, my coffee is boiling over.

11. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/189526