1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When does this not recognize C: drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike450, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike450

mike450 Thread Starter

I attempted to clone a one TB hard drive to a new 500 Gb hard drive in another machine with a 500 GB external hard drive
    Now the cloned computer will not boot up, the fan starts and there is one beep
    A window comes up saying Windows failed to start, Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
    When I restart the computer it just does the same thing
    I removed the hard drive and connected it to another computer via a docking station and went into computer management
    The docking station (P:) I used for the faulty hard drive showed up on the left of the section
    The section on right, is completely grayed out with no disk information
    In the box on the left it says, Disc 2 Removable (p:) No Media
    Is there any way I can make the hard drive recognizable so that I can get in and reformat it
    I have tried renaming the faulty drive
    I've tried to drive and other computers
    Help
    Mike

2. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

First off you cannot clone the operating system from one computer and use it on another computer. Also if you were cloning a larger hard drive to a smaller hard drive you may have caused your problems right there.

You can go to the manufacturers web site of the faulty drive and download proper software to test and reformat the drive.

3. managed

managed Allan

How did you do the 'cloning' ? What software did you use ?

4. mike450

mike450 Thread Starter

I used Clonezilla
    Mike

5. managed

managed Allan

Ok, did you clone to the Usb drive and then clone from that to the internal 500GB drive ?

OR did you save an Image of the 1TB drive on the Usb drive and restore it onto the 500GB drive ?

6. mike450

mike450 Thread Starter

I cloned to the Usb drive and then cloned from that to the internal 500GB drive

7. saikee

saikee

If the original operating system footprint is smaller than 500Gb then Clonezilla should be avle to mirror the hard disk image from 1TB disk A to disk B and then from disk B to 500Gb disk C.

The cloning is acceptable to many versions of Linux except those for servers applications if the operating system from disk A is used on another computer with disk C..

A MS WIndows can be cloned the same way except it will not work on a PC except its original hardware. It is even illegal.

An OEM version of a MS Windows is supposed to die with the original PC it is installed on but a reuse of the same license may be acceptable if the original PC breaks down.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058853