1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When external HDD is connected, it starts spinning loudly until playing a video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tolgaek, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tolgaek

tolgaek Thread Starter

Then as soon I pause, it starts again, making loud noises, for hours on end without stopping.. And here and there it will really slow down the computer... I got a new Thinkpad T530, it started happening with this.. I checked the process list when it's spinning but it doesn't show anything taking up process. As soon as there's an operation on the HDD (like watching a video or copying a file) it stops making loud noises and starts running normally..

I hope someone can help..

Here's the sysinfo;
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 3819 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, 1717 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 153610 MB, Free - 10097 MB; D: Total - 307823 MB, Free - 241235 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 243265 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 2359CTO
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I can only think that:
    The head is parking when not reading/writing and that is when the noise occurs.

3. tolgaek

tolgaek Thread Starter

Yeah but should it do that as well when there's no operations happening on the hard drive.. It never used to make these noises

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Does it do it plugged into a different machine?
    The power saving mode on your laptop may be different to where it was before.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice