1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When I come out of standby mode I dont see drives and dvd rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zaki, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zaki

Zaki Thread Starter

I have two hard disks[a SATA and a PATA]. My motherboard is D945GNT and it has a single PATA IDE channel. With the PATA cable I have connected both my PATA hard disk[as master] and DVD PLAYER[as slave]. The SATA hdd is connected to a SATA channel.

Now when I start my PC everything is fine. I can see all of my drives as well as the dvd drive. Sometimes I put my PC to standby mode...now when I get out of the standby mode I only see the drives of my SATA hdd. All the drives of my PATA hdd[a MAXTOR] as well as the DVD drive go missing. Next time I start my PC or reboot...all the drives are back.

A few days back I tried installing a game in a volume of my PATA hdd but I couldnt complete because while installing suddenly my PC loses all the drives of my PATA hdd as well as the DVD drive. So the drives go away and the installation fails. Any idea whats going on??

Motherboard: D945GNT
    Processors: Intel Pentium D 2.80 GHz
    RAM:2.5GB
    AGP: ATI Radeon X300

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That board has a long list of BIOS updates, some of which do deal with CD-ROM Detection and power management so I would suggest updating to the latest BIOS from the Intel website: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gnt/index.htm
    While there you should also update these items:
    Chipset: INF Update Utility for Intel® Desktop Boards
    RAID: Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Intel Desktop Boards

3. Zaki

Zaki Thread Starter

I think the problem is over. At least its not showing right now. Well my BIOS was upto date. I did alter a setting in my BIOS to get rid of that installation problem. I changed my IDE settings from Legacy to Enhanced but that was not enough to get rid of the other problem. Thats when coming out of standby I dont see my drives. After installation of "Chipset: INF Update Utility for Intel® Desktop Boards" this problem also vanished. At least for now.

I have also downloaded the RAID but problem is that I dont know where to decompress it [It does not contain any setup file...only a few system files] I am not sure but should I copy the files to windows\system folder?

Many Thanks for your quick Reply!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then I wouldn't worry about the Intel Matrix Manager then, but it would be the last download which is an executable in any case, the others are for making a floppy disk to install Windows XP on a system configured for AHCI or RAID.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice