When I copy/paste files a program installation starts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

corrado444

I have been having the following problem off and on for some time:

When I try to copy/paste files and folders in windows XP explorer (or in the desktop or a program's dialog box), windows wants to re-install one of the programs I have already installed on my computer or that I installed once upon a time.

Currently this is happening with Roxio Easy media Creator 7, but in the past it has happened with many other programs, such as MS Office, Roxio and some other shareware programs.

This is how it happens:

• I choose or drag and drop a file or group of files and folders to select and paste in another directory.
  • As soon as I initiate the operation, a dialog box pops up and says: "Installing (program name)", in this case, roxio easy media creator 7.
  • I click cancel and the alert box disappears. Also, the file copies.

In the past I was not so lucky: at times clicking on cancel did not work right away and I had to click it at least 3 times.

A couple of times there was no way to stop the process and I actually I had to fetch the CD installation disk and re-install the application.
Once it happened with a software demo I had tried months earlier, and by the time I had this problem I had trashed the demo file and the new demo available for download was a different version. I had to get the company to send me their old demo file, install it and then unistall it to make this annoyance disappear.

Is this a common occurrence? It seems to happen a lot with Roxio (and I am on version 7.5 by now, but version 7 still tries to install itself) and MS Office, but by no means is limited to those two programs.

Also, I have not been able to figure out what generates the problem. It seemengly appears one day out of nowhere, with a disturbing frequency (about once a month).
So far Googling the problem has been useless.

I am hoping someone here has had the same problem or at least can figure out the solution.

TIA for all your help

CC

corrado444

Many thanks Mr. Quagmire :) (funny picture). I'll proceed fixing the problem from there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online