When I game my screen goes black and says no signal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LendVDB

Hello people!

I've recently bought a new graphics card (Asus GTX 980) and updated to windows 10, since then, every time I try to start a game or run a benchmark my screen (a Tv connected with HDMI) goes black and says no signal. It forces me to keep pressing the off button on my pc to turn it off and when I start my pc up again, my gpu driver crashes, to fix that, I restart my pc again and it's fine again, but I still can't game/run benchmarks

I have tried changing the hdmi cable around, another tv/monitor, another HDMI cable, but I'm pretty sure its my gpu or it's drivers,

I have the latest gpu drivers,

My pc;
intel core I7 @ 3.6 ghz
Msi military class 4 B85M-E43 motherboard
8Gb of Ram
Asus GTX 980 (my previous one was a Zotac GT 730)

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Greetings!

Welcome to TSG! (y)

Many thoughts and things to check.

-Updated to Win 10.... fresh install or upgrade? If it was an upgrade there may be left over drivers from the old card.
You make sure to get the right drivers, 32 or 64 bit. Version: 361.43 is what is on nVidia. Try a "clean install" if you haven't.

-Does the onboard HDMI work? (You may need to reactivate the onboard graphics to test it.)

-Is your HDMI output resolution set wrong for the TV? (720p, 1080p etc. You can try different ones, see if it still goes black)
If you have a monitor around you can hook it up too, might let you see and adjust settings.

-With the change in cards did you need to change any BIOS settings for clock speed.

-Does you PSU have the proper power output for the new card, and is it plugged in. (if required)

-Is the card fully seated and "snapped" into the proper socket.

I know some of this is may sound simple and basic but I don't know your what you have or have not tried.
These are just the things I can think of to check on.
Maybe someone else has had this problem and can give more specifics.

Welcome to TSG! (y)

Many thoughts and things to check.

-Updated to Win 10.... fresh install or upgrade? If it was an upgrade there may be left over drivers from the old card.
You make sure to get the right drivers, 32 or 64 bit. Version: 361.43 is what is on nVidia. Try a "clean install" if you haven't.

-Does the onboard HDMI work? (You may need to reactivate the onboard graphics to test it.)

-Is your HDMI output resolution set wrong for the TV? (720p, 1080p etc. You can try different ones, see if it still goes black)
If you have a monitor around you can hook it up too, might let you see and adjust settings.

-With the change in cards did you need to change any BIOS settings for clock speed.

-Does you PSU have the proper power output for the new card, and is it plugged in. (if required)

-Is the card fully seated and "snapped" into the proper socket.

I know some of this is may sound simple and basic but I don't know your what you have or have not tried.
These are just the things I can think of to check on.
Maybe someone else has had this problem and can give more specifics.
Thanks for the quick reply! At first, im family of LendVDB. We have been investigating the problem together.

A few explainations, he had win7 with a cheap graphic card in it (gt730 4gb zotac). His problem occured when he downloaded the game ARMA. Game starts, screen goes black and a little after "no signal" on the monitor. A few weeks later he bought his GTX 980 graphic card from asus and it didn't solve his problem... We also updated then to WIN10 hoping it would help but unfortunally no succes.

Solutions we tried: (but didn't work)
- sfc/scannow in CMD
- switching 3D settings in Nvidia
- Change virtual memory
- download ASUS GPU tweak for monitoring his graphic card
- upgrade to win10
- set 1080p to 1080i 30Hz
- latest version is installed for graphic card (361.43)

To reply at your questions:
We will check for old drivers of the old graphic card and post if it worked

We didn't test it yet but soon we will test it this evening

We tried setting it from 1080p to 1080i as this one is build in the tv, but we will try to put it on lower settings

No, we did not

Yes, minimum is 550 Watt, he has 650 Watt

-Is the card fully seated and "snapped" into the proper socket
Yes, and as the old graphic card had that same problem, im pretty sure it's connected properly.

We thank you for your help, we hope our info is usefull enough to help us. We have no more idea's what we can try. I Checked google, youtube,... Nothing seem to work.

As we are going to try the tips given above, we will give some feedback to you this evening 7PM (so 10 hours from now as i don't know where u guys are from.)

Last edited:

Tanis

Shane
The most likely cause in my opinion, at this stage, would be the power supply, there is a lot more to consider than just it being a 650w unit especially for a gaming machine?

- What is the exact PSU make and model?
- Roughly how old is it?

- What is the make and model of the TV?

Can you download and install Speccy (its free), run the program and the publish a report to the web. To do that Click File > Publish Snapshot > Click Yes to proceed, when it gives you a URL copy and paste it into a reply here.

The most likely cause in my opinion, at this stage, would be the power supply, there is a lot more to consider than just it being a 650w unit especially for a gaming machine?

- What is the exact PSU make and model?
- Roughly how old is it?

- What is the make and model of the TV?

Can you download and install Speccy (its free), run the program and the publish a report to the web. To do that Click File > Publish Snapshot > Click Yes to proceed, when it gives you a URL copy and paste it into a reply here.
PSU make and model, im srry but i have no idea what PSU is for. All i can tell is that he has 650W. No brand has been specified on the supply.
His PC is around one year old.

About the power supply, we had put his settings in a calculator and recommended power would be 640W... And he has 650. I really doubt it is his power supply my friend.

Details of his TV-screen (phillips 32PFL3008H/12):
http://www.philips.be/c-p/32PFL3008...ed-tv-met-digital-crystal-clear/specificaties

We will run speccy tonight when he is at home and post the results!

Thanks in advance, we really appreciate your help! :D

Tanis

Shane
The power supply is probably the single most common problem we see on these forums for gaming machines and that is normally because it hasn't been specced adequately.

There is a massive difference in capability between a cheap 650w unit and a good quality one.

I do use PSU calculaters at times, usually this one:

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

However they should only be used as a rough guide, if I put the details of my system into the above and it came out as recommended 640w, I would probably look at an absolute minimum of 700w. To help with prolonging its life and ensuring a stable power supply, you really don't want your PSU to have to work at any more than 70% (80% max) of its rated capacity.

Looking at those TV specs, the screen resolution is 1366 x 768p, are you running the desktop at 1920x1080 and it just fails when you try to run a game? If that is the case, I would suspect either the GPU is failing when put under load or the PSU is having an issue when it is put under load.

Last edited:
well i have the same powersupply as he does and never had the problem though.
Screen is set to 1920x1080 indeed. So that might cause games to crash? If i understand correctly, if it is this problem, does he need a new monitor wich supports 1080p? I highly doubt it is the GPU as he had the same problem with his GT730 and know with his GTX980 he has the same problem...

LendVDB

I have downloaded speccy and these are the results:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5nA6QXw2hqxR0XxXxB1qP84

Setting the resolution to 1366x768- 1080p did not help.

I noticed my pc has this problem more often in time... Even when i boot my pc, it says "no signal" for a few seconds and then proceeds with startup.

Any idea's what it could be?

Thanks for the help so far!

Tanis

Shane
well i have the same powersupply as he does and never had the problem though.
How do you know, the OP hasn't said what his power supply is :)

I have downloaded speccy and these are the results:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5nA6QXw2hqxR0XxXxB1qP84
You temperatures look OK in Speccy, there is one thing I don't like the look of having given it a fairly quick look over, which unfortunately points back to a possible PSU problem.

Speccy said:
Voltage
+12V: 11.880 V
+5V: 5.040 V
+3.3V: 3.376 V
The value for the +12v rail is low, I would expect that to be much closer to bang on +12v especially if the machine was just sat at the desktop with Speccy and background tasks running! Can you go into the BIOS/EUFI and look for those values in there, there is a chance Speccy may be misreading the sensor values but I don't think that is the case, the BIOS will be accurate.

How do you know, the OP hasn't said what his power supply is :)
Because we have the exact same PC except the graphic card is different :p Im his nephew and i have been at his house to have a look at his pc. I will try to figure out the brand of our powersupply.

Yesterday, we saw something new... When we checked his ASUS GPU tweaker, his memory clock and boost clock were at MAX instantly. Causing 58 degrees for just some internet and youtube. No gaming at all and is Graphic card status was like he was playing 4K GTA V with ultra settings. Is this something that causes the problem? It's the first time we saw his stats so high for such simple activity as he was just using the internet.

Here is a picture he made yesterday of the tweaker:

Last edited:
Found the box of our powersupply. It is the same BUT just one wire was different. (he had a 6-pin and i dont't, i needed an adapter to make of 2x3pins a 6pin)

Tanis

Shane
Because we have the exact same PC except the graphic card is different :p Im his nephew and i have been at his house to have a look at his pc. I will try to figure out the brand of our powersupply.
:) Good answer, wasn't expecting that one.

I'm afraid to say that I wouldn't trust that PSU as far as I could throw it, especially in a gaming machine. Having only around 21-22amps on each +12v rails is not up to the job of running a dedicated GPU (which will take all its power from one of those rails). The name is also a bit of a giveaway, BAP is Basic and Power, the company also do a GAP (Gaming and Power) range which ironically has even less amperage on their +12v rails with 2 rails showing 20amps each. In addition to that it only appears to have a 24month warranty so even the manufacturer doesn't have any faith in the quality of the unit. A decent PSU will have at least 5 years warranty, most good ones now come with 10 years as standard.

You may not be having a problem as well but that doesn't mean the issue isn't the PSU! Even if it definitely isn't, you are asking for trouble in my opinion, running those machines on those PSUs long term.

It is up to you both at the end of the day, this is just my advise and opinion.

The GPU and Memory clock speed shown look about right for the GTX980. The ASUS Strix GTX980 runs at base clock of 1178MHz (picture shows 1177MHz) with a memory clock speed of 7010MHz (picture shows 7012MHz). If you are seeing less than that could be due to a bottleneck somewhere so the GPU / Memory cannot run at full speed or a power issue to the card which will also, potentially, throttle it back.

Source:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX980DC2OC4GD5/specifications/

As checked your link. It says 6+8pin required for pluging in the pc... Pls tell me that you only need the 8pin one?! I thought you didnt need the 6pin but only for serious intensive gaming and overclock... Am i wrong? We will be considering for a new PSU if we don't find the solution soon.

Thanks for helping out, much apriaciated!!

Tanis

Shane
Just to check, is that your exact card? If it is, you need the 6 + 8 pin power connected for the card to run properly, otherwise it is not getting the power it needs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts