1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When I insert USB flash drive, keeps going to "manage"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bj nick, Oct 12, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Windows 10.1 laptop: I insert a flash drive, it works fine, but with the drive in there, periodically the screen will shift to the File Explorer page with two tabs at the top: "Manage," and "name of drive." It's always on "Manage." Any idea why this happens? Annoying......

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Post a screen shot of this "File Manage?
    I have never see File Manager with these tabs, I see File, Computer and View.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks, I attached the screen....the picture is lousy, sorry; but you'll see what's going on.

Attached Files:

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's probably set to 'Open folder to view files' when a Usb stick is connected.

At you're screenshot click on Manage and you can select how this is handled in the new window that appears.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

The Manage label is always there when a USB stick is selected, it doesn't change how File Manager is working.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're right, my post only applies if it's the first time a Usb stick is connected.

So if it's not the first time right-click the drive in File Explorer then click on Open AutoPlay... and select the action you want.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's because it recognizes it as a USB drive so Drive Tools will show if you switch from C: drive to the USB drive.

Same if you go from This PC to C: drive, the Computer tab disappears.

I haven't seen it go to Drive Tools automatically... only if I was already on Drive Tools and then change to a different drive or This PC.

This is behavioural.

Note: I took out my drive while on Drive Tools and then reinsert it... it stayed on Home tab... same if I was on the Drive Tools for C: drive and reinserted the USB drive.. Now..

upload_2019-10-14_11-38-4.png

I have the lines too.. but my toolbar is shown... Are you sure you are on the manage tab? Try showing the toolbar/ribbon and see if it goes to Home when you insert the USB

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice