1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When I open a PDF file in FireFox...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by UPSer, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPSer

UPSer Thread Starter

when I try to click a link to download a PDF file, it automatically opens file in browser and opens atleast 30 new tabs. In my tool options, I have the download set to "Always ask where to download file to" ... what could be causing this??

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know anything about this, especially all those tabs being opened, but suggest that you first check this:

Tools - Options... - Content - Manage...(under File Types) - See what's set for PDF files. Mine, for example, is Open with Adobe Acrobat plug-in. If you want a simple left click on the link to download instead of opening, I'm not sure if you can or what you'd change the Action to.

You might also make sure you have a recent version of whatever you use to open it. Adobe Acrobat reader is now at version 8.1.1, and you should probably have at least version 8 if you use it.

3. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

This might help:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636

It's an addon for Firefox that I use that asks you what you want to do with a PDF file. I'm not sure if it will help, but if the problem is that the browser plays up when opening PDFs, you can choose to open them in a standalone program (probably Adobe Acrobat).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice