1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When I print over network, all I get is a print-out of gibberish!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AhrenBa, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an HP Deskjet 5440 hooked up via USB to my Dell Windows XP machine. I set the printer as "shared", installed the software on my other Windows 98SE computer, and choose that printer as the default on the 98.

I went to test out if it would print over the network, so I choose to print out a small picture. I then went to see if it was printing, which it was, so that meant that it does see the printer and can print to it. However, it was not printing out the picture, but instead about 3 pages of gibberish what looks to be programming language or a huge error.

What could this be and how can I fix it? Thanks.

2. erick295

erick295

For the record, programming languages don't look like gibberish ;)

Are you sure that print driver works with Windows 98SE? I'm guessing since you installed it, it probably does, but please check the printer's minimum requirements and make sure. What kind of router or switch are these connected to? Your problem may be that you're using two different OS's.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One thing you can try doing is add the Win98 printer drivers to the shared printer on the XP computer. Then when a Win98 computer connects, it will automatically download the right drivers.

4. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Lol, yeah, I know about programming languages, I was just trying to make a subtle comparison. hehe... :)

Anyways, its connected with a Linksys WRT54g router and WUSB54g adapter.

Thanks for the response. :)

Ok, cool, I think I'll try this. How exactly do I set the win98 default drivers?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You don't set them as defaults on the XP Computer. When you share the printer, there is a button at the bottom, Additional Drivers. Click and check to add the Win98 drivers. You will likely either need the CD or driver files available on the hard drive. I like to do this with network printers, especially when more than one computer is going to connect with a different operating system. Saves all that time to manually load the drivers each time.

6. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Ok, so I just add the driver's that came on the HP printer CD, or do I load them from the Win98 OS cd? Thanks

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Wherever the drivers are, that's where you load them from. But likely it won't be from the OS CD. Otherwise you won't need them separately in the first place. You would have been prompted for your OS CD.

8. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Ahhh!! I see, thank you for your help. I will try that, and post back later.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/515568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice