When installing Realtek my headphones disappear. win10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

potimus1d

So just setup a new build, and the problem im having is, When i install Realtek hd audio, my headphones disappear. They still work but appear as speakers and take priority (i have logitech 5.1 speakers plugged into rear i/o and my headphones plugged into front case panel). I really wanted to utilize the nice sound blaster cinema 3 this mobo came with (asrock z270 k6 gaming). But need realtek for soundblaster but its just not an option. even if i were to just go with the just plug in headphones when you need and unplug em when you dont and let realtek think there speakers, the headphones sound so crap and echoy in games. ive tried unistalling all audio drivers, ive tried installing the Realtek version on the asrock website, ive tried using the newest version... still same heaphones dissapear and they work just appear as speakers so i cant change default audio out anywhere, i even unplugged my speakers in the rear i/o and put my headphones in there alone, they still show up as speakers in realtek and windows default sounds. any suggestions? also they are 3.5mm jack old razor headphones. i have yet to try a USB headset and see if thatd work. but before that would like to see if anyone had any solution/suggestion because these still are not that bad of a headset..(well maybe they are lol who knows)

specs
win 10 64
asrock z270 k6
i7 7700k watercooled
m.2 samsung 960 evo
gtx 1080 msi
nzxt 440 steel series.
32gb g.skill ram

Oddba11

Jim
That board has the Realtek ALC1220 chipset, so you should be using the Realtek drivers. Try the latest version available from ASRock.

As to the issue, ensure the speakers are set as the default playback device. I also seem to recall an option somewhere to enable/disable jack detection, but I don't believe that will solve the issue.

Also, in the future, please only post a problem on ONE forum, not every forum that you can find. It's rude and wastes everyones time.

potimus1d

Thats the problem though once i install Realtek drivers(newest ones from asrock website) headphones option disapears. everywhere. in realtek and windows default devices i cant switch between the two (only shows speakers) and end up stuck with rolling back to crappy windows audio drivers so my headphones to reappear. and nobody has an answer so why not try every forum / avenue possible before RMA i mean only have less then 15 days left to RMA need an answer asap... if it were your 2500$ computer would you hesitate to get any answer from anywhere possible? since Asrock technical support is non existent, toms hardware has no answers, and before spending 60 -100$ on a new USB headset or RMA whats the harm really in trying to get answers from anywhere possible? if not vigilant. i will end up with some codec and nothing I'm able to do about it. Rude to me is selling a product that doesn't work and also getting advice from something/somone I've already tried around 10+ times.. I'm grateful for any and all support. but this took me almost year to save up for, for such an annoying problem. but what uve said (even thought trying to help) I,ve already tried. and makes me think you barely even read my post and just did a TL: DR. which also wastes my precious time.

Last edited by a moderator:

potimus1d

why thank you kind sir. i mean it edited it out any way on its own. I'm not sure what the difference of you taking it out was... plus so many assumptions.... i know fighting with people trying to help is going to get me no where but im sure youve never been frustrated with a huge investment. plus so many assumptions. i apologize and am sorry.

Last edited:

potimus1d

i think this may have something to do with it. seems speakers share front port audio jacks. anyway to change this
?

Attachments

Oddba11

Jim
Are you using the ASRock drivers or the Realtek provided drivers?

You should always start with the motherboard manufacturer supplied drivers as they may not have implemented all features of a chipset.

As to the Windows drivers, they are often basic to get the hardware to function. So not all features may be available. But you shouldn't notice any audible difference using them. They are MS tested and approved drivers from Realtek.

On a side note: As to your other concerns, we all volunteer our own personal free time on these forums. Many of us frequent more than one (hence how I know you posted more than once). Heed my advice or not, I will just say that when I see this kind of behavior, I typically just ignore the posts especially after a response like the above.

Oddba11

Jim
As to the image: some laptop drivers have the ability to remap connections. I don't recall ever seeing that ability with desktop models. Jack detection (ie: knowing when something is actually connected), is a two part process: 1) there is an actual contact or switch in the jack, and 2) the drivers. If everything works as expected with the default Windows drivers, it's a safe bet that the drivers currently installed don't work properly (reference my driver comments above).

It could also simply be an issue with the driver version that you are using. You could try using an older version. But I would start with the ASRock provided drivers, then move onto drivers direct from Realtek.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online