1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When is a dead hard drive not dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ~Candy~, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator Thread Starter

Here's a first for me....usually when a hard drive dies, it's dead....end of story.

I have/had 3 hard drives in my system. A brand new one (80 gig) and since my bios doesn't support over the 60ish limit, I used an overlay program to get the drive recognized.

Before this I also had 3 hard drives, all varying sizes, with no overlay programs.

As each hard drive had an operating system, I could access my bios setup and boot from either of the three.

After I installed the 80 gig with the ezbios (yes, I installed it on the other two drives as well) everything was happy, except for the fact I could no longer boot independently to the other drives.

I thought, no biggie. Still everything happy.

This morning, turned on computer, tried to access the 30 gig hard drive for some files, and the click, click, hard time trying to access, but finally it did......sooooooooo, then I rebooted and guess what....no 30 gig drive.

Wonderful.......disconnected the other drives, tried to boot to that one, no operating system, rebooted again, physical medium error....not going to be a good day.

Tried booting with a boot disk, fdisk politely tells me no fixed c: drive present......lovely.

Downloaded the recovery program recommended by Slithy (thanks, hope you're reading this too) and it would not even acknowledge that the drive existed. The drive was still being seen in the bios, correctly.

Downloaded the Maxtor drive diagnostics and got all the lovely 'you're in deep doodoo' error messages.....so went to the RMA site and proceeded to request RMA as the drive has one more year on warranty. There REALLY isn't that much on the drive of importance.

As the RMA page needed info from the top of the drive, I removed the drive from my system....it was quite warm to the touch, but I didn't give that too much more thought.

A few hours later, I thought what the heck, I'm going to try it in my other computer before I call in the chariots.....and it boots up after running thru scandisk warning me of shutdown errors and requesting I run scandisk in Windows....I am now transferring files over the network to another hard drive.

Any ideas why it would report dead in so many ways, and then boot up like nothing happened? And I didn't even put it in the freezer :confused:

God, I hope Alex Ethridge doesn't see this thread, he'll blame it on my overlay program :eek:

2. rugrat

rugrat

Candy,

LUCKY??
    I have no idea except, it is about to fail for good. Sounds like a true hardware issue to me. At least you can RMA it. This is good since most HD manufacturers now only give a 1 year warantee on the new drives. I know this doesn't really help but, it does bump it back up so someone who really might know can answer:)

SeeYa

3. thepcmann

thepcmann

AcaCandy,

It really sounds like the drive is going bad. The drive could have locked up internally and then it was over heating. When it cooled off a few hours later you put it in another machine, (maybe you bumbed it slightly in your rage :) ), and it worked.....I wouldn't trust it. RMA it and get another.

But you might make a note and see if another drive gets toasted off of that same IDE channel....

4. Subnet Mask

Subnet Mask

In the days when 105 Megabytes was a big drive, the Quantum Fireball 105s used to do this a lot. Most times you'd pop the drive out of the system (Sun 360), give it a sharp tap to release the voice-coil, and it would be good as new again.

Some years later, with improved technology, and without Maxtor having a rep for this kind of flakiness, it sounds like RMA time.

5. RandyG

RandyG

So true. That was an "official" Gateway fix a few years ago for a certain type of hard drive.

I would agree with everyone else, that this should not be tolerated now-adays. The only probolem I see with your RMA would be that your drive works now. Hopefully you'll get someone who is understanding (haha) over there to issue the RMA.

It could happen!;)

6. thepcmann

thepcmann

Um.....thats solved by "making sure" its bad. If you get my meaning! Thats sounds horrible, but with as flakey as it is, you have to get a new one.

7. ~Candy~

Thanks everyone.......It's still working as of this a.m. BUT, I didn't turn the machine off yet.......gotta get my address books and emails off, then will carry on.

I've dealt with Maxtor in the past, and pretty much with my 3 error codes, they should replace it. I do the replacement where they send one first, then I return this one ;)

Oh, and by the way, I didn't 'bump it' in my rage either, lol, however did think about teaching it to fly or swim :D :D :D

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

9. ~Candy~

Hi Jedi, thanks for responding......I have one really large fan that blows over everything.......you may have a good point there......I think for the time being I'll just run with the two I have in there now and not add back the extra 30 gig once I get it replaced....as that does create more airspace in between them...........

BTW, just gave the inside of the case a feel, and it does appear to be running cooler......... ;)

10. rugrat

rugrat

Candy,

I have heard you can take the old drive apart and put it in the dishwasher along with several large magnets! This will in effect remove all data and give you a clean drive to start with. I am not sure whether they can put Humpty-Dumpty back together again.

SeeYa:D

PS: A steel wool pad works great for removing the brown stuff from the platters inside drive.

11. ~Candy~

Hehe, silly boy, now wouldn't that void my warranty :p :p :p

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/100802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice