1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When is a free ISP not free?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hewee, Jan 16, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

2. hamster

hamster Guest

You get what you pay for bud. nothing is free anymore... would you work for free or close to nothing???

I remember back like a year when free internet was really Free!! And had big names to back it up!! too bad man. times are rough.

remember freeride.. man, they was handing out money left and right!! boy... i miss those days!!

3. deuce

deuce

Sucks to be them... things will get bad for DotNever! quite fast methinks... :rolleyes:

4. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

They are crooks that take the start up fee and tell you that you get free internet but all you get is ads that are in the install setup and NO INTERNET connection.

Need some jail time for those guys.

5. hamster

hamster Guest

well........ it's also up to the consumer.... if it looks too good to be true....

comeon now... a company that is not really well known that ask for money up front and tells you that You will get "Free" stuff...
    Should have rang up the Red Flags.

If you are that gullible!!!!......... then..............

6. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Yea true with anything free.
    I never even had the good free ISP that used to be around because I never like having to install anything just so I could get on line.

If it was really free then just post the dial up(DUN) info for me.

7. deuce

deuce

There are a lot of (or at least used to be) free ISPs and it was hard to tell if anyone was well known...

8. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

There used to a couple of good ones a few years ago, now the only ones left either limit your time online without clicking on one of thier ads, or you have to deal with the annoying banner that you can't get rid of, and thenyou have to keeping moving it around the screen to be able to do what you want to do. It's a shame that the few good ones that were out there have all gone.

9. hamster

hamster Guest

Who wants to work for free??? Nobody was cllicking on those dumb ads. People are still hesitant to shop online. I rather buy the same item at the same price at a brick and mortar store.... so of course they folded.. and forget about Juno!! ohh.. soo bad.. and Netzero you have to pay now.....

it's a joke.... It says you can still have free access but they changed it so You can't get a local number to dail from!!

unless I get a better deal... and for unknown sites... people are hesistant about using their credit card online.

But now there is this site that gives you a prepaid mastercard number that you use online so you don't have to give out your real credit card information. I lilke that alot or eles I would never give out my CC info.. you know hackers.. huh......

10. hamster

hamster Guest

here's how to get free internet service.

Wait until your neighbor goes to work and then connect a long long telephone line from his jack to your house and use away!!!!

of course that's only for dial up....

I just don't know how anyone can pay $40.00 a month for cable or DSL!!!!!!!!!! Wow.... I mean for a business ok, but just for personal use!! Yikes!!!

It's like 500 bucks a year.... well lots of people have money to burn if they need fast access to streaming video or stuff.

Yeah you can say it's like paying for Cable Service... like you can do without it since you have regular tv.. but we need our soprano's, oz and cooking shows!!! (ps. spice for Duece) hee hee

11. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Before I got on the internet I had Juno.
    It had ads and was only for email but I never used it that much. Had it for about 10 months and then I got an ISP and was hooked on the real internet.
    Used to be so much faster back then too when the web site had there ads at there site.
    After all these ad companies too over the ads for web site it has only slowed down the web.

12. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

I had juno when it was free and that moveable banner ad got on my nerves so I decided to get the premium service, it only cost me $8.95 a month because I signed up when they were offering a deal on it.

As for Netzero, I have it on my PC. I use it just as a back-up in case my DSL decides to play silly buggers with me, which it has a couple of times. I used as recently as two weeks ago and I don't pay for it so I'm not sure where you got the idea from that they charge, unless it's changed in the last two weeks.

Right now I'm using aol only because it was the only cd I had to load onto the laptop so I could access the internet. It's free for a month and by then my PC should be up and running again but as much as I don't like using aol, it did come in handy when I needed it.

13. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Back when I had Juno it was only for email. They never had the ISP plans like they do now.

It was a very very small setup tha came on a floppy.

Does not your DSL ISP have dial up to use in case you need it? Most do but you only get like 5 hours amonth so if DSL is down to long and for people like us that are online a lot 5 hours is not much time.

Like sometime back the Pacbell DSL was down over 4 days. Alot got mad and got cable after that too.

14. hamster

hamster Guest

Yikes! Ladylisa, they changed like three months ago I believe When I tried to put it on my buddy computer and The banner came up telling of the changes for free accounts and we tried to find a Local number but it only came up with long distance numbers.

the local numbers were only for the paying customers.

I haven't sign up with Netzero on my computer after I read that, so I don't know if I just sign into my account if it will charge me the toll numbers or not

15. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

hewee

I use Verizon DSL and i didn't know anythiong about them having dial-up access in case they were down. I'll look into it though.

hamster

I know it was only two or three weeks ago when I used Netzero, I don't have long distance access on my phone so it had to be a local # they were calling. That's really strange..... they did have a little box that popped up every twenty minutes asking me if I wanted to stay connected to the internet. I click 'yes' and I stay on. I got disconnected a couple of times but that can happen with any dial-up, or used to when I used to use them on a daily basis.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice