1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When mapped drive not found, explorer goes to next drive letter. Delays.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by abssorb, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abssorb

abssorb Thread Starter

A laptop has 5 mapped drives which are only used on the office. Offline files is not an option. When a user on the road clicks on a mapped drive by mistake, the explorer window locks up while it tries to find it.

OK, but what is infuriating is what it does when it can't fid it.
    Instead of doing something sensible like taking the explorer window to C: drive or desktop, it goes to the next drive letter. Of course this is also unavailable. So the machine is essentially unusable for about 5 minutes if the user mis-clicks once.

Any way to change this behaviour ?

XP Home and Pro.

2. bbearren

bbearren

Not to be trite, but don't click on a mapped drive when not connected to the network. That's the behavior that needs to be changed.

3. abssorb

abssorb Thread Starter

If we're going to be trite, your response is wholly incorrect, the correct trite response would be, "don't install windows in the first place because it's utterly crap."

But I could have reached both those conclusions on my own without posting on a forum. :D

4. bbearren

bbearren

In a word, no. When you click on a mapped drive in Windows Explorer you invoke the networking protocols in the O/S. The networking protocols will then attempt to access all network resources before they relenquish control back to Windows Explorer.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One way I have solved this problem for this situation is in how the drives get mapped. I started using a small batch file that gets run on startup to map the drive. But the first thing it does is disconnect any drives assigned.

for example:
    net use * /d /y
    net use x: \\server\share
    net use y: \\server\share1
    net use z: \\server\share2

So when they are on the road, the net use * /d /y disconnects all the mapped drives. The rest never successfully complete. So there are no mapped drives to click on.

6. abssorb

abssorb Thread Starter

Thanks guys - both answers are helpful.

I had hoped that there might be something in the registry.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice