1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When Mobo fails as a result of static, is the processor affected?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Techmx, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Techmx

Techmx Thread Starter

In the event of a motherboard failing due to static discharge, I am wondering what components on the board that are usually affected. Is the processor spared or affected? Trying to see what parts that are recoverable. Thanks for helping out.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why do you think static discharge has damaged something? In reality this practically never happens.

If it were to happen then I would expect the only thing that would be affected would be the thing touched when it happened, it wouldn't really spread though the system. Also if you look at power surges or lightning strikes in most cases the processor survives, it's pretty hard to kill a modern processor.

3. Techmx

Techmx Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Is the above principle same with laptop?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would think so. I'm guessing this is a hypothetical question?

5. Techmx

Techmx Thread Starter

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well not sure what cover you refer too for the CMOS battery as there doesn't seem to be one other than the whole access panel on the bottom of the laptop. If thats the case and you were using and carrying it around unprotected then it would have damaged it in a number of ways.

Older laptops are rarely worth fixing. And since it is a laptop pretty much everything is part of the motherboard anyway except the drives.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice