1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

when plugging phone in stops internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by runnerjp, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. runnerjp

runnerjp Thread Starter

we baught a new phone and when we plug it into the landline for some reason it knocks the internet off and the router stops working...any ideas why and how to fix it? the phone it in different point to which the router is

2. TheOnlyGonzo

TheOnlyGonzo

A little help here.
    What are the model numbers of the devices? and how are they connected when internet works? Where do you plug the phone into when the internet cuts off?

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

I had that problem with old wiring in my house. The phone wires were burglar alarm wires, ok for a phone signal but not broadband. I could have either the phone or the PC but not both until I got the wiring updated.
    Just a suggestion ....

Richard

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Sounds like perhaps you have DSL but the wire you are plugging the telephone into isn't off the filter which is put on to separate dsl from telephone on the same used wire. The phone then creates a short in the dsl line. Solution is to have your telephone line off the telephone filter.

5. BadGoomba

BadGoomba

Yes, if you are using DSL (you connect to the internet with a modem that is connected with a phone line) make sure that phone you are plugging in is connected to a dsl filter.
    if you connect using wireless and the phone you are using is a cordless, try changing either the operating frequency channel on the phone or on your router.

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

A cordless phone in any frequency other than 2.4gHz is fine. Since wireless routers operate at 2.4gHz you don't want a cordless phone in the same frequency or you can have a conflict.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/724803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice