1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

When to use Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eduardo, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eduardo

eduardo Thread Starter

Hi

I will shortly be installing a Big network (+-600 pcs), I'm planning to have all the servers on a central location, and some specific servers near the departaments they belongs to.

I would like to know which would be the ideal number of computer with in the same broadcast domain, so i can split the network in diferents broadcast domain.

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, there are as many answers to that question as there are stars in the universe! You need to define the exact nature of the network, as well as the amount of traffic you expect to make an intelligent response to this query. The one point I can agree with is having all the servers in a common location if possible, makes administration and debugging easier.

3. jnixon

jnixon

As John said there are many, many answers. Keeping your servers in a central location is a good idea. You may want to divide your network into VLANs by using switches capable of that. They are a little cheaper than routers.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I say make them all with the first 3 octets the same and the the first people on are the ones who win and the rest have to do manual labor for the day. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice