When Will Windows 7 Stop Being Shipped With New PCs?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Robsy128

Hey all :)

I'm just wondering when will Windows 7 stop being shipped with brand new PCs. I'm planning to expand the office here (meaning get more people in) and I know for a fact that Windows 8 simply doesn't work with a lot of software we have. I'm trying to plan for the future and wonder when the market will be flooded with Windows 8 machines and the Windows 7 machines will be a thing of the past.

Also, I wasn't sure where to ask this so I hope this is the right place :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't say if you want to buy more laptops or more desktops with Windows 7, but have you considered refurbished ones instead of brand new ones?

I've bought 6 refurbished Dell laptops and desktops with Windows 7($225 - $250 apiece) in the past year and have been happy with all of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Robsy128

Desktops... and I'm not too keen on refurbished ones. I know that a few retailers are still selling Windows 7 Professional with their desktops, but they are getting less and less every week. How long do you guys think it will take for them to completely disappear?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
There was an article recently about certain manufacturers agreeing to sell new computers with Windows 7 until a certain date, but I don't remember what that date was.

I know HP is still selling a few model desktops with Windows 7(64-bit).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Desktops... and I'm not too keen on refurbished ones.
I got my last two refurbs when M$ changed the OS .. the OEM had to change the model number ..
and sell the "old" brand new build outs as refurbs.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Why did HP have to clarify their Policy .. To many wanting to "upgrade" back to W7 maybe ????

TerryNet

Terry
Microsoft is permitting Windows 7 with new PCs until October 2014. As long as there is some demand I figure that there will be OEMs selling them.

Windows 9 release date

Following Microsoft's three-year Windows OS release cycle, we'd expect a Windows 9 release date of October 2015 with a Windows 9 beta release at the start of the year, perhaps at CES 2015.

rumours! rumours, rumours.

Windows 9 release date, news and rumours

Robsy128

Oh, I was planning to expand here within the next 6 months... not in two years time haha.

I just ordered a HP PC a few weeks ago and it came with Windows 8, even though the HP Pros I've ordered before have come with Windows 7. Let's just say that it caused me a lot of grief and was a pain to even install Windows 7 onto it. I'd rather not go through that process again. As long as there are still desktops being sold with Windows 7 in 6 months, that's fine :)

When I bought my Dell laptop five years ago, I chose a small-business-class model (a Vostro) primarily because I could specify the OS I wanted on it, which I could not do with their consumer models. Perhaps that is still possible.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online