1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

where are my downloads going? or are they downloading?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LeGinGe, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeGinGe

LeGinGe Thread Starter

i have an acer aspire, i downloaded a couple things alittle while ago like itunes and such, but the past couple days i havent been able to download anything! it run and the download bar on the little window completes, but i cant find it anywhere and none of the start up wizards or anything open. (tried to dowload firefox)

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Go to explorer and type in a name of a missing file...hover the file and right click open file location

3. LeGinGe

LeGinGe Thread Starter

you mean internet explorer im guessing?

4. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Windows explorer, aka Computer. There should be a search box in the upper right corner.

5. LeGinGe

LeGinGe Thread Starter

well see, hardcore noob your talking to here, im using windows 7 and ive searched everywhere but couple you please give detailed descriptions of what to do? i will try that now though

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

A little of a problem giving detailed description as I'm not running Windows 7 right now so I can't pull up the screens to be certain I'm giving you the exact wording. But if I remember correctly you should have a 'Computer' item on the Start Menu. Open that & you'll see a list of your drives (might be just one drive, C, on a netbook which I think is what an Acer Aspire is). Across the top of that window (below the Title bar) should be an Address bar that looks similar to the address bar in Internet Explorer. Beside that (to the right) should be a search box. Type the filename into that box and press Enter. Given time you should see a list of files with that name. Some of them might not be 'real' files but you won't know that until you look at their locations, e.g. a name shown in the 'most recently used' folder is more than likely a link to the real file. About the only generic advice I can give you about distinguishing the real file from the links (or other files with similar names) is to check the locations and think about where you'd expect to find the file you're looking for.

Once you decide which file is the 'real' one, follow Brett's advice.

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

The latest Firefox version is
    Firefox Setup 3.6.13
    Since you actually never got that installed..you shouldnt have to sift through many files

Also
    When you download are you selecting "save" or just run
    Save should bring up a dialog as to where you want to save it

8. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Or maybe not but I'll take your word that it's the default for IE. Here at work (on Win XP) our machines are pre-configured with Firefox & that's pre-configured to automatically save downloads to a specified Downloads folder. I know that's not the default, but they've locked me (and everybody else whose job isn't setup/repair) from changing those so in my case I don't get asked. And we don't really know about the OP, just assume that (s)he has the default settings. (Just as I'm assuming (s)he is using IE since (s)he mentioned trying to download Firefox.)

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

True..but with FF you can easily access the last downloads ..as it shows when complete....so in effect they shouldn't get "lost" unless one closed the little download window.

10. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

And even if you do close the download window you can re-open it (Tools/Downloads) to see where the heck your downloaded file actually was saved.

11. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

So in effect it is hard to lose a file

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice