1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where are my tracking coolies coming from!?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bassetman, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

My mouse got all jerky and PC was slow today again. Even crashed when overloaded. I shut down re-booted, still slow and jerky. I ran spybot and found five tracking cookies. I deleted them and was fine. The only web site I visited after that was here. Again slow and jerky. Ran spybot again, there they are again!
    If I am not getting them from ads here, where the hell are they coming from?
    I am running ZA and SpywareGuard also. :mad:

John

2. Del

Del

Hi John,
    Were they the same 5 cookies you removed before?

3. bassetman

I hadn't made a note, but yes, I think they were.

John

4. suzi

suzi

There are several tracking cookies that are on a very large percentage of websites, like doubleclick, hitbox, advertising.com,
    bfast, mediaplex, valueclick and probably some others I didn't think of. Everytime I run Spybot those same cookies are there.

One option is to set Internet Explorer to block cookies, or certain cookies. Also Zone Alarm Pro can block cookies. You can get cookie management software also.

This article on spywareinfo.com has great info for how to block cookies with your browser and links to download cookie managers.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/cookies/

I don't know if cookies slow down your surfing though - it might be something else. Do you empty your browser cache regularly? I like to run Spybot and run disk cleanup almost every day to clear out the junk :p

Hope this helps.

5. Del

Del

Have to agree with Suzi there, very seldom delete any cookies and have no problems at all.

6. bassetman

I always speed up after I delete those "buggers"!
    I can't delete all of them, 'cuz I am taking an online course now and that keeps track of my progress. :-(

Thanks
    John

7. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hiya John, sorry I missed you in chat the other night!:rolleyes:

I don't see any way a few cookies would mess up your system like that. I'm glad you got that course started!:) But have you installed any software for it? Is it an online course? Maybe it's running something on your system. Have you checked your startup list lately? And if it is an online course, Is there some kind of updater installed for th ecourse that's trying to contacted the course server?

Also for those cookies, go right into C:\Windows\Cookies and take a close look at them to see their source. For example, I have one called "[email protected][1]". Hmm...wonder where I got that from?

:D

8. bassetman

Thx Jim, I just figgered you were shunning me again! ;-)
    The thing about the course is, I didn't DL the software for that till after I had this prob 2X's.

Oh well.

John

9. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Hiya John:

Why not run Startuplist just for the Hell of it? Couldn't hurt.

Just tonight I browsed 1 webpage. I got a failed popup attempt and I couldn't close the button on the taskbar nor could I maximise it. when I read the button I swore: http://xupiter.com/downloads/installer or some such URL! I ran spybot right away but I was clean: just last week I installed spywareblaster!

10. bassetman

Here ya go! Have at it buddy!

John

11. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    John, have you installed something called URL organizer? I am looking at this line:

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\PROGRAM FILES\URL ORGANIZER\URLORGIE.DLL - {C6CEAC32-D45C-11D4-94AF-0050BABD5FD6}

I got only 2 Google hits for it: your other thread in security with a startup list and this site:

http://www.urlorg.com/ReadMe.txt

If you didn't install this then I would say it was installed for you!

12. bassetman

Thx, no I didn't install the damn thing! I dodn't look close enought to see if it included uninstall instructions! Arrrrgg!

John

13. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Ok John, see if it's listed in control panel/add remove. See if it has a folder in C:\Program Files.

I hope it isn't conecting to the net and broadcasting back to the sire. Look at all the fun stuff it gathers from your computer:

Information stored:
    * Internet bookmarks/favorites/favourites
    * e-mail addresses
    * newsgroup addresses
    * application, folder and document shortcuts
    * unlimited space for notes on each URL
    * site log-in names
    * time of last opening each URL

:eek:

14. bassetman

SOBs! Mo Fo's, that just made it worse!, now it took over my start page! Now I bet I have a whole new load of their cr*p!

Where do these SOBs live! I want at 'em!

Arrrrrgggg!

I don't have time to de-bug my PC everyday for their profit!

John:mad:

PS ok, Aveanue A link is one that keeps showing up in spybot! I clicked on one link here, that is it!
    Is it malicious visitors here?

John

15. bassetman

Ok, after several scans and deletions I have my home page back! I will get these ppl! :mad:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!